Dog Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We just adopted this little man last week. The shelter didn't know much about him other then his age and took some guesses on what breeds he may be but was quite unsure. Curious if anyone who knows a lot about different breeds could give me some insight or educated guesses.

Duke is 10 weeks and 6 lbs exactly. His paws aren't big. He has a little white stripe on his chest. His paws seem webbed and he is brindle. I was thinking lab in him bc of the brindle but he seems on the small side for lab right? Anyway whatever he ends up being and whatever size he gets he is so well behaved and the cutest little guys so happy we found him

Attachments

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
I've never seen a brindle lab, but I have seen brindle pitties! He looks to small and scrawny to be only pit though, but I see it in there a bit.

·
Registered
156 Posts
It is really hard to guess breeds as puppies; but he looks quite similar to a staffy (Staffordshire Bull Terrier) puppy, they're smaller than a pit and quite commonly come in brindle.

He could be lab mixed with something smaller and that can come in brindle though.

Here is pic from a google search of staffy pups.
(not my dog, not my photo)

staffy-puppies-518d0f6ba8f40.jpg

Reactions: cos

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
looks like a dog. ;)

I don't know... perhaps pit mixed with something smaller.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
If he's only six pounds at 10 weeks I think he's too small for breeds like pits or labs. A wide variety of smaller dogs come in brindle either officially or unofficially, it's super common. Chihuahuas, Bostons, Frenchies, poodles, Cairn terrier, Cockers, and others. Also some small dogs like Westies can throw brindle puppies.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My dog, Gomi, is now around one years old. We are still wondering about we breed! She's so short legged and has a long body.
Her mother Louis is also a mystery.
I'd appreciate some help :) thank you guys!
Gomi: light brown/white. (Next to tv remote)
Louis: darker brown/white

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
Wow! He is adorable, whatever he is. :)

Could he have a little German Shorthair Pointer in him? His coloring looks similar to our male GSP, who was all liver except for a very small flecking of white on his chest.

With our male GSP, we got him from a HORRIBLE "breeder" who stated he was eight weeks old. He was TINY for supposedly 8 weeks. His tail was broken--cracked--and looked like a checkmark. We now believe the breeder had twisted off the puppies' tails instead of taking them to the vet for proper care. Crispin was a loud crier his whole life and so we believe he cried so much and so loudly when this jerk tried to "crop" his tail that he just gave up and left it broken.

We LOVED that broken tail. It displayed his quirky, silly personality in such a way that words could never express. It was Crispin in a tail. :)

But the guy said he was eight weeks old. We took him to the vet immediately when we brought him home. She was ASTOUNDED at how "immature" he was for eight weeks of age. She was fearful he wouldn't make it.

After a couple weeks, I called the breeder undercover and asked if he had any GSP puppies left. There were two in his car when we met the first time. Now, he said there was only one left. I asked how old it was and he said SIX WEEKS OLD!

That man lied and told us Crispin was eight weeks old when he was truly FOUR weeks old! No wonder why he was so tiny and immature.

I bring this up because as Crispin just passed this last March, we went to a shelter the day after to get a new puppy. We got what we thought was going to be a "small terrier mix" as the shelter called her. Tansy is her name and we're thinking she's a GREAT DANE, German Shepherd, Rhodesian Ridgeback, Black Mouth Cur mix. An all-ultility dog, really. But one thing we're sure of, she ISN'T what the shelter said she was!

She looked similar to a litter of small puppies and so they threw her in with those, trying to pass her off as the same. No matter to us as we had a Great Dane before we got Crispin years ago. We love large dogs.

Shelters do great work but sometimes they just don't get it right. Their main purpose is to find those animals happy, loving families that will love and care for them as their own. That's a tough job in today's world of greed and selfishness.

Whatever your new puppy is, he's ADORABLE and HUGGABLE and LOVABLE and PERFECT. I wish you many happy and healthy years with your new, little guy!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts