Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I inherited my grandfather's dog about a month ago, he has severe dementia and basically let his dog pee and poop everywhere, so the dog is nearing 10 years old and has never really been potty trained. I thought letting her out frequently with a treat for positive reinforcement would be good enough, but it has been a severe disappointment and is actually getting worse. Tonight has been the last straw. Literally within 30 minutes of being let outside after I got home from work, she pooped in the apartment...after pooping outside. And it has never been diarrhea, either. My aunt told me she "doesnt let you know when she has to go outside" and not only that, she now sneaks off and goes potty whenever she feels like it, even going as far as walking into the kitchen, then silently into the living room to pee, because I have caught her in the act of silently wandering away to pee/poop and she knows I watch her every time she gets up.

Is there any hope for a middle aged dog? I am starting to lose hope and my patience is gone. :(

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
You need to crate train her, just as if she was a little puppy
http://www.dogforum.com/housetraining/

In addition, you need to clean any areas inside used by her with products designed for this so there is no scent cuing her that it is OK to go inside.
Older dogs can catch on pretty quickly, but you have to do the initial work with crate training: she needs to either be in her crate inside, on a leash inside with you looking at her, or outside.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You need to crate train her, just as if she was a little puppy
Housetraining

In addition, you need to clean any areas inside used by her with products designed for this so there is no scent cuing her that it is OK to go inside.
Older dogs can catch on pretty quickly, but you have to do the initial work with crate training: she needs to either be in her crate inside, on a leash inside with you looking at her, or outside.
OK thanks. I had been keeping her in a cage while at work, and she has gone potty in it zero times. I am generally averse to putting adult dogs in a cage but if it is necessary for progress, I am willing to try ANYTHING for the love of god.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
It is temporary, just for potty training. After she is trained, you can do whatever seems best for you and her. Don't forget to make a big deal and praise her whenever she goes outside and does her business . For now, in order to praise her exactly when that happens, go outside with her, don't just let her out into the back yard.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.