Dog Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, new here. My dog, Bella, is a 7-year-old Japanese Spitz-Maltese female dog who had a slightly rough road throughout her life.

A little backstory:

Roughly 3 months ago, she was diagnosed with CDV (Canine Distemper Virus) as she was vomiting everything she ate, was weak, and was put on dextrose. Although I was pretty sure the vet was telling lies that she had CDV. Every test was completely normal; x-ray, blood, etc. But before having her checked by a vet, my mother fed her the toughest part of a Balut (usually called the ‘stone’, and yes, we live in the Philippines), it blocked her stomach and nothing goes through it and we think it was the reason why she had those symptoms. After a few days, she vomited the blockage out, it was the food my mother gave her. For now, she’s kinda fine. If she eats dry food, she regurgitates it and spits it out. If she eats wet food, her stomach accepts it.

Here’s the problem:

She was pregnant when she was sick (probably in early pregnancy), and the vet gave her antibiotics which caused miscarriage. A few months had passed until today and she’s having her menstrual cycle. She already had a few puppies throughout her whole life and we just gave them away because we can’t take care of too much dogs in our house.

Will the previous miscarriage and antibiotics affect her future pregnancy? Or is it impossible for her to get pregnant again?

I’d like her to have puppies which will remind us of the joy she brought us before the inevitable comes. :(

Any answers/replies will be much appreciated, thanks.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Hello, new here. My dog, Bella, is a 7-year-old Japanese Spitz-Maltese female dog who had a slightly rough road throughout her life.

I’d like her to have puppies which will remind us of the joy she brought us before the inevitable comes. :(

Any answers/replies will be much appreciated, thanks.
At 7 years old she's likely considered a senior dog. Having puppies is NOT good for her. Even if she was young it's not good for her. You want to be reminded of her when she's gone? How about prolonging her life now by not letting her get pregnant? Having puppies shortens a dog's life. Not having a female dog spayed puts them at risk for some cancers that can be avoided entirely.

Are homeless pets a problem in your area? If so, then purposefully breeding a dog is adding to the problem. She's had previous litters....what kind of life are they all living?

If you love her and want her around longer to experience the joy that she brings you then learn of ways to make her healthy to ensure that she is around longer. Dental care, good weight, healthy diet and exercise. Focus on making her life happy and carefree. And then she'll be healthier and live longer.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts