Dog Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, my husband and I just got a golden doodle puppy. We are so happy about him being apart of our family but we are concerned with the possibility that a dog can transmit UTI to humans.
My husband had a total hip replacement and any infection he contracts could cause his entire hip to be infected too.
Does anyone on here have any insight to this?

·
Registered
438 Posts
Hi all, my husband and I just got a golden doodle puppy. We are so happy about him being apart of our family but we are concerned with the possibility that a dog can transmit UTI to humans.
My husband had a total hip replacement and any infection he contracts could cause his entire hip to be infected too.
Does anyone on here have any insight to this?
Google says:

·
Registered
470 Posts
Don't know if he has been diagnosed with one, or it's just a concern, but male puppies getting a UTI are less common. Add to that that only about 14% of dogs contract one in the first place....and that UTIs aren't contagious like diseases. Rather, exposure to the same bacteria.

So, short answer: it's technically not impossible. But very, very, unlikely.

·
Registered
49 Posts
None of my male dogs have ever had a UTI. So, while I suppose it's possible, it wouldn't be high on my list of concerns.In terms of the puppy being a danger to your husband, I would worry more about the puppy being a general dirt magnet and also the puppy growing big enough to knock your husband down.

Find a puppy kindergarten class and start taking the puppy as soon as possible. I waited until my boys had their second set of vaccinations at roughly 12 weeks, and off we went. The puppy kindergarten will help you and your puppy learn how to politely greet people without jumping up, how to interact with other puppies, and commands such as Leave It (really important if anyone in the household takes medication; you don't want the puppy swallowing a dropped pill before you can pick it up.)

Doodles actually have high maintenance hair. It requires regular bathing, blow drying, and trimming - monthly, if you can manage it. It is best to start taking the puppy to a groomer as early as possible. The puppy needs to feel comfortable with the routine at the dog spa. Good groomers, ones who are experienced with poodles and doodles, will gently get the puppy used to the bath, the dryers, the feel of the clippers, without traumatizing the puppy. Groomers tend to hate doodles, because people wait until the dog is a wild adolescent with matted fur before bringing the dog in for the first grooming appointment. You, your groomer, and your dog will all be much happier if your groomer doesn't need to hold the puppy down and shear it like a sheep. Start early with the grooming appointments!

A bit more on grooming - poodles, and therefore many doodles, go through a coat change some time after about six months. It seems like nobody warns doodle owners to expect this phase. The soft puppy fuzz changes to tighter curls. During this period the hair mats like crazy. Mats regrow while you are in the middle of brushing the dog. It's maddening. Don't blame yourself if you can't stop the mats at that age. It's not you. You might need to have your groomer trim the coat short while he is in that phase.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Has the Vet checked your puppy and said he has a UTI? Puppies pee a lot and it does not necessarily mean they have a UTI. I have had many pups in my lifetime and only had one female that had a UTI.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No, urinary tract infections are not contagious. for more details .. ShrinkMe.io
Has the Vet checked your puppy and said he has a UTI? Puppies pee a lot and it does not necessarily mean they have a UTI. I have had many pups in my lifetime and only had one female that had a UTI.
No, my pup does not have a UTI. But my husband was concerned with our pup getting a UTI and being able to infect my husbands hip.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Yes, check with the doctor. My first reaction is also that it's very unlikely to get UTI from your dog. The bacteria have to travel from the dog into your urethra. How will that happen? Obviously sex is out of the question. I can imagine the puppy peeing on your lap. If I were you, I'd just say no doggie on lap.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts