Dog Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My housemate and a mutual friend and myself want to adopt a dog together, but only two of us live together. The third lives in seperate apartment about 10 minutes away. They want for all of us to adopt and raise the dog and share responsibility. But can a dog really live in two seperate apartments? Or will it only claim one as it's home?

·
Registered
911 Posts
That just doesn't sound like a good idea all around to me. What will you do if one person moves away? Or have a fight/fallout? Who will do the training and what type of training? What if there is an disagreement on how to raise the dog, what to feed? Living in two homes can be done, but the dog may not like it. I have a feeling things like house training will take longer.

·
Registered
115 Posts
That just doesn't sound like a good idea all around to me. What will you do if one person moves away? Or have a fight/fallout? Who will do the training and what type of training? What if there is an disagreement on how to raise the dog, what to feed? Living in two homes can be done, but the dog may not like it. I have a feeling things like house training will take longer.
Quite right, there is quite a few flaws in that idea and as stated above the dog may not like having to constantly move around and also the dog may prefer one place to another and may get agitated after some time, so overall I feel it is still best for one person to primarily take care of the dog, and let the people also help in taking care of the dog like buying food and supplies:)

Reactions: Cynna

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
It can work; I know people who share custody after a breakup or split time between two homes. However, those are very different situations from what you are proposing. I agree with the comments above that it's not an ideal situation for a dog. It would lead to too much inconsistency and possibly strain on the friendships.

A possible compromise could be for one person to adopt a dog and act as the primary caretaker (training, medical care and decisions, etc) and the others to be more doting aunts / uncles buying treats, toys, etc. (and that could include things like training classes, regular food, and other necessities). There would need to be clear guidelines decided in advance for things such as where the dog spends his time, training methods, safety issues, etc.

·
Registered
951 Posts
a dog absolutely can live in two homes. Many dogs do. Many families live in one home part of the year and another home the other part, and the dog goes with them. Sometimes families move from one home to another home for part of the year and the dog is cared for by a relative in that relative's home as one of his or her pets until the family returns.

I've seen wonderful dogs in both circumstances.

Your circumstance, I am a little bit reluctant about. It needs to clearly be 1 person's dog for all legal ramifications as you start to go your separate ways. (Note, this doesn't mean things can't change if for instance the 'owner' needs to move overseas and can't bring the dog, but the key is to make it official beforehand)

You all have to be the same on training and expectations for the dog. And that's very hard. It's one thing when the dog goes to stay with Grandma and Grandpa for 3 months every year...the dog learns that when he is with person A and B at location X, there is one set of expectations, and person C and D at location Y, there is another set of expectations. But to constantly have A, B, C, and D all around, frequently bouncing between location X an Y...that's going to be hard.

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
I think it depends on the dog. A long story short with a personal experience. Before I moved out, my auntie/sister rescued a pug mix from a shelter. (I'm guessing a pug/beagle mix)

Anyways, they lived in Idaho and had rented out their home here. Then gram went in to see her graduate and to send her back with the rescue dog.

For a few months, she learned my grams home was now hers. Then her owners came to live with us until their renters moved out of their house. And they moved back in to their house taking their dog with then.

Well, that dog would make her way down the hill on the side of the dirt road to our house and bark to be let in where she knew she was welcomed. Then when she had enough of us, she would travel or rather wobble back up the same hill to her owners house where she was always welcomed.

This was her ritual until she died. (Prematurely if you asked me) she was over weight and if she were fit I beleive she would have lived longer.

But, my gram and her daughter lived a block away up the hill from grams house. I don't know how ur dog would do with more then two homes and having to switched constantly.

Maybe if you got a dog who was happy go lucky type?
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
288 Posts
I think that dogs can move from home to home and be fine. I spent 6 months living with my parents during the week and living at home with my husband on weekends, and I took the dog with me. It took him a week or two but he adapted to my parents' apartment just fine and loved going there every Monday morning. I did go with him of course which helped, but he's also stayed with my parents while I was out of town and it was fine.

However, I think one person needs to be the primary owner in terms of responsibility. What happens if someone loses a job? Or moves? What happens if the dog needs expensive vet care? Ultimately it has to come down to one person to make these decisions and be ready with the money. Others can help out but I think you need to have a primary owner.

Reactions: TruckersMom

·
Registered
63 Posts
This doesn't sound like a super great idea to me. My previous dog "lived" in two homes. One was mine, and one was my SO's who I visited just about every weekend. However, I was the common factor in both situations unless I was on vacation.

·
Registered
93 Posts
It's not a great idea. It would be fine if u were changing accommodation with the dog but this is different. My personal experience of my staffy x mastiff, we have known him since he was a puppy as his previous owner and my husband were good friends. It started out as us dog sitting during the day and eventually we were having the dog for 3 weeks straight out of 4. Poor boy became depressed and even started toileting and chewing in his original home. Now he lives with us permanently and sees his previous owner once in a blue moon for a couple of hours and he is much happier.

·
Registered
214 Posts
While I've seen it work after break-ups with shared custody, it can be stressful for the dog - and that's when the dog already knows both parties. :)

This sounds like a bit of a disaster waiting to happen. You might all stay friends forever, but chances are that one or more of you will move away. There's also the issue with training styles, food, medical bills and decisions. Nevermind if the dog bonds to one or two of you and not the other - that's going to cause some issues. Personally I don't even think it's a good idea for couples who have just moved in together to get a shared dog, as there's not good stability there yet.

I agree with TrampolineBoxer that one person adopting a dog would make more sense. Just remember, dogs can live up to 25 years depending on the breed and health, so this is a long-term commitment. A lot of changes can happen with friends in 25 years. :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts