Dog Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if a dog can have more than one master. I want my dog to listen to me but I want her to listen to my husband as well. She follows me around and not him so I assumed I am the one in charge but I don't know for sure. Just wondering!
Thanks!

·
Premium Member
4,613 Posts
My dogs listen to cues from everyone. If someone yells "come!" at the dog park, both of my guys head off towards that person. :p

At home, they listen to cues from both my husband and myself. They generally have a faster response with me because I'm the one that does all the training, so naturally we know each other's body language cues better. My husband also has horrible timing - always rewarding late!

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
I like to think of my relationship with my dogs as a sort of teacher. A student can have more than one teacher and sometimes a student has a favorite teacher.

Have your husband do some training with your dog and spend some one on one time together. Take the dog for walks and feed the dog too. Their bond will increase and that doesn't diminish your relationship with your dog.

·
Registered
502 Posts
I think it depends on the dog, but most can listen to more than one person. If I'm around my dogs will only listen to me, and ignore other people. But Chess will listen to whoever she knows best if I'm not around. Echo -well- she does not listen to anyone other than me hardly at all. She's not a velcro dog, but she is still very much a one person dog in that I'm really the only one on her radar.

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
It really depends on the individual dog. Some dogs are "one person" dogs and typically will only listen to one master. Others will listen to everyone. Breed definitely has influence over this. A dog like a Lab or Golden is more apt to listen to lots of people, but one like my dog (ACD mix) typically just listens to me.

·
Registered
5,884 Posts
Dogs do often seem to ignore other people, but it's not because they aren't their "master". Its because the dog was never taught that other people give cues and reinforcement. Dogs don't always generalize during training.

A good example is a basic command like "sit" and the context in which you give it. Your dog can know exactly what "sit" means. But, you have to work with the dog to know what it means in different situations. Most of the time, sit is trained with the owner facing the dog. If you were to turn your back to the dog and ask it to sit, it won't know what to do. It's not because it's not listening or doesn't feel like it. It's because it's confused. It knows what sit means when you're facing it. But when you're back is to it? It's like a different trick.

Same goes for this situation. If you want your dog to listen to others, you have to teach her to. Your husband needs to take an active role and training her and reinforcing her behavior.

·
Registered
5,884 Posts
Dogs do often seem to ignore other people, but it's not because they aren't their "master". Its because the dog was never taught that other people give cues and reinforcement. Dogs don't always generalize during training.

A good example is a basic command like "sit" and the context in which you give it. Your dog can know exactly what "sit" means. But, you have to work with the dog to know what it means in different situations. Most of the time, sit is trained with the owner facing the dog. If you were to turn your back to the dog and ask it to sit, it won't know what to do. It's not because it's not listening or doesn't feel like it. It's because it's confused. It knows what sit means when you're facing it. But when you're back is to it? It's like a different trick.

Same goes for this situation. If you want your dog to listen to others, you have to teach her to. Your husband needs to take an active role and training her and reinforcing her behavior.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts