Dog Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Deer Head Chihuahua accidentally mated 34 days ago. She is 4lbs. She got an ultrasound at 28 days and the vet said he didn't see anything but he also said its possible it was missed because she is so small. She's been cleaning herself a lot, although I don't know if its more then usual. Im home now because of this virus so I see her more. She isn't showing at all, her nipples are pokey, maybe a little bigger then usual but haven't grown in the past couple weeks. I looked up how to palpate a belly and I have been doing that every day the past 2 weeks and just in the last couple days I have been able to feel a small solid thing in the middle of her abdomen when I push in. Is it possible she is pregnant even tho she isn't showing at day 34, if she isn't, what am I feeling in her belly that I am pretty confident wasn't there before? I really am not looking for opinions on the whole situation, I am just asking if there is a possibility that she is pregnant without showing at day 34. Thank you!

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Short answer, yes. That's only 4 weeks along, dogs normally don't start really showing until around 6 weeks along (42 days). I would not recommend continuing to palpate her belly, doing that can very easily do damage to pups if there are any, especially doing it daily. Wait a couple weeks, if still unsure have another ultrasound done, that will tell you for sure. 28 days is a little early to do one, hence why if she is pregnant you may not have seen it. If pregnant be very mindful, given her tiny size as the risk of needing a C-Section goes up greatly, even more so if the dad was bigger. Best of luck!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Short answer, yes. That's only 4 weeks along, dogs normally don't start really showing until around 6 weeks along (42 days). I would not recommend continuing to palpate her belly, doing that can very easily do damage to pups if there are any, especially doing it daily. Wait a couple weeks, if still unsure have another ultrasound done, that will tell you for sure. 28 days is a little early to do one, hence why if she is pregnant you may not have seen it. If pregnant be very mindful, given her tiny size as the risk of needing a C-Section goes up greatly, even more so if the dad was bigger. Best of luck!
Thanks for the reply! She is now 34 days which is basically 5 weeks as of tomorrow. The ultrasound was done at 28 days,(4 weeks), according to basically ever single website online, an ultrasound can detect a pregnancy at 21 or 22 days which is why i had it done at 28 so hopefully theres nothing in there and it want a false negative. All the pics of pregnant Chihuahuas Ive seen online say they start showing at 4 weeks or 4.5 weeks, at least nipple growth and she will be 5 weeks tomorrow and doesn't have that! Is it really possible for a chi to be pregnant with no obvious symptoms at 5 weeks along? I'm just worried for her health is all and want to make sure I know sooner rather then later so i can be prepared

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
P/S the male was a Chi as well, 6 lbs. So their babies would be small luckily

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I Have no way of weighing her from home and the vet is limiting their visits to only emergency or necessary visits because of the virus so I wouldn't be able to take her there either. Plus the closest vet is an hour away so would only take her in if I really needed to
@LoveMyFosters - Would you be able to weigh in?

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Thanks for the reply! She is now 34 days which is basically 5 weeks as of tomorrow. The ultrasound was done at 28 days,(4 weeks), according to basically ever single website online, an ultrasound can detect a pregnancy at 21 or 22 days which is why i had it done at 28 so hopefully theres nothing in there and it want a false negative. All the pics of pregnant Chihuahuas Ive seen online say they start showing at 4 weeks or 4.5 weeks, at least nipple growth and she will be 5 weeks tomorrow and doesn't have that! Is it really possible for a chi to be pregnant with no obvious symptoms at 5 weeks along? I'm just worried for her health is all and want to make sure I know sooner rather then later so i can be prepared
Nope, 21 to 22 days is too early, 28 days only works if you know when they ovulated, which can only be truly determined by a progesterone test, when a dog breeds and when they ovulate are not always the same. The internet sadly doesn't always have the right answers, and on dog breeding, they rarely do I am sorry to say. I speak from years of experience as someone who has whelped and raised many litters. Yes it is possible for her to not be showing at 5 weeks, though less likely. If she were only carrying one or two pups, she may not start showing until the final week or two of pregnancy. If you are worried about her health, I would highly recommend you just get her spayed now since it seems she isn't pregnant from what you are describing, that way there is nothing to worry about. Small breeds such as this, though not always, often need C-Sections and can have complications not only during pregnancy, but after delivery given their tiny size. How old is she? Age can affect things a lot.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Nope, 21 to 22 days is too early, 28 days only works if you know when they ovulated, which can only be truly determined by a progesterone test, when a dog breeds and when they ovulate are not always the same. The internet sadly doesn't always have the right answers, and on dog breeding, they rarely do I am sorry to say. I speak from years of experience as someone who has whelped and raised many litters. Yes it is possible for her to not be showing at 5 weeks, though less likely. If she were only carrying one or two pups, she may not start showing until the final week or two of pregnancy. If you are worried about her health, I would highly recommend you just get her spayed now since it seems she isn't pregnant from what you are describing, that way there is nothing to worry about. Small breeds such as this, though not always, often need C-Sections and can have complications not only during pregnancy, but after delivery given their tiny size. How old is she? Age can affect things a lot.
Im going to go with not pregnant! She is 36 days post mating and basically nothing has changed, no nipple pinkness or anything that looks like pregnancy symptoms. Im thinking her symptoms just lasted longer then usually after her heat because her nipples were slightly more enlarged a week ago, but have since shrunk and today she looks like she does normally. I WILL NOT spay her if I don't have to. Next heat cycle I will just be sure to do a much better job at separating her and the male, maybe even give the male to a friend until she comes out of heat. I don't think she should go though surgery unless she absolutely has to and i stand by that opinion. All my other dogs are fixed except her and my AKC male Chihuahua who is a show dog so he isn't allowed to be neutered. I appreciate your opinions :) To answer your question, she is 2 and a half , will be 3 in July.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts