Dog Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This one is about Amo again.
I went to the vet the other day and he said he "may" feel some fat on his ribs or it "may" be skin. So I "maybe" want to think about regulating what he eats, since he's free fed.
Maybe? Might be fat? Might be skin? I'm torn because the vet didn't really decide weather he was overweight or not.

He's only 4 months old, isn't he supposed to be a little thicker? He weighs about 45lbs and he's a gsd mix. But its true I can't feel his ribs very well and he is a bit pear shaped.
I know being too big will hurt his joints but I also know he still throws up when he gets too hungry and puppies aren't supposed to "diet"

·
Registered
92 Posts
yes they can, gsd are normally scrawny until 2 years of age, it would be easier to tell with a picture.

if you're free feeding he is going to get fat, even we suck at regulating our own food imagine dogs.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Puppies will easily gain weight. A little extra weight isn't a concern.
I've had puppies before when I was a teenager. My mother insisted on having one. (I know I'm telling my life story)
The best way we kept their weight down was by doing schedule feedings. I don't know if you do free feeding but scheduled feedings is your best bet. That way, if they're still a little overweight, you can cut back by one feeding a day. Or cut back on how much you're giving him at a time.
Best of luck! :)

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just started scheduling his meals. Does anyone have any suggestions for food? Right now I have a full bag of earthborne which is something like 38% protien and 18% fat

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was originally getting that food for the higher fat content because Dexter does have an "off switch" and he's very skinny and amo was a rescue and underweight when we took him in.
But now he's obviously gained enough weight lol isn't large breed food supposed to have low values? Doesn't he need those nutrients? What should I look for on the package?

·
Registered
34 Posts
If he's mostly an indoor dog, look for indoor puppy food. It usually has the same nutrients but not as much of it.
Most of my dogs have always been indoor dogs. So I always look for the indoor stuff, even if they're a puppy.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Yes.. just like babies can be overweight. It's important to make sure your puppy's weight is in the right range otherwise it could cause joint problems or other issues in the future.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts