Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This weekend we are bringing our 4 month old puppy camping with us. We can't bring her to doggie daycare because they are closed on the weekends and they don't take in dogs then. We're we will be spending most of our time on the beach were dogs are not allowed so we will have to keep it at one of the picnic tables. Does anyone have any tips or tricks with camping with dogs. Also what should we bring with us besides the nessesary things ( crate, bed , food , water ect.)

·
Premium Member
7,969 Posts
I camp and hike with my pup a lot. Many campgrounds have rules about leaving the dog unattended on the campsite. Also, please be careful as the pup can get tangled and strangle itself on it's collar. :(

With all of that said, I would take the pup on a nice LONG walk before you head to the beach for the day. Hopefully, this will tire her out enough to sleep most of the time that you're gone. Besides that, I would bring a Kong stuffed with PB, puzzle toys and a bully stick. Set her up in the shade with a comfy bed, bowl of water and she should be okay while you're at the beach.

Another option is to bring her crate, providing that she's crate trained.

Good luck, have fun and I'd love to hear an update about how it went! :)

·
Registered
455 Posts
We took my dog cross-country schooling, which was basically camping out of the car on a farm for a weekend, when she was 7 months old. She was staked out next to the car/trailer much of the time, though usually under supervision except for the ~2-3 hours a day we were schooling and getting tacked/untacked etc. The tie-out was positioned so that she could get into the open back of the SUV that was padded w blankets if she wanted. She had access to water and food at meal times. We also brought a soft pop-up crate that we put her in at night and kept immediately next to the open car, do to fear of bears and just feeling more comfortable having her fully contained at night.
She was very well behaved.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
500 Posts
Make sure that she has shade. I have taken my pup on a LOT of adventures and would recommended getting a 30' lead so they have room to wander and explore. They will be miserable tethered to a 6' lead all day.

Petsmart has them in the training section...not with the leases and collars.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the tips! The camping went great with her we went on a lot of walks and adventures during the trip. One of our friends brought there dog down to give her a playmate. It wasn't too hot out (it was in the 70's) but we tied her out with some water and she played there with her toys. But for the most part she slept in her crate. Overall she was great on the trip but she was so happy to get home:)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.