Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some of the hikes I'm looking to do are too far for a day hike (White Mountain area of NH). I'm considering camping. I'm also considering a hotel ;) I've done lots of camping in the spring, winter and fall but never when there is snow on the ground. I have an excellent tent, air mattress and a million sleeping bags. Aspen and I both have winter coats... winter boots... anything else I should be considering for a snowy camp?

I'm hoping someone here has experience... I've already done plenty of Google searches. @zoorun - I know you don't get on here much but I feel like you would have experience with this haha

·
Registered
880 Posts
I've never winter camped, but fall-camped, in the rain. Getting wet is a disaster, so dry everything to change into for down time is survival.
A hint I've never used is to keep a hot water bottle on hand, cheap, easy, just add hot water.
I suppose a second one for your dog to cuddle up to.
If you go, please update with your tips. Might change my mind about winter camping (for now, I just say 'no')

·
Banned
1,222 Posts
If you've already done cold weather camping, just bring a shovel to clear a spot of snow. Haven't winter camped in years, not so good with the cold anymore. Put a mat under the mattress if you can, if the bed loses air and you touch the ground, the cold will permeate through. Hardest part of cold weather camping is crawling out of a warm sleeping bag :(

·
Premium Member
7,969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
@Artdog - agreed! Being wet is terrible! One of our last camping trips rained for 3 days straight. But I love listening to the rain on the tent at night :)

@jagger - Good idea with the mat!

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
I've done it and will be doing it this weekend on my trip up to Edmonton. Warmth isn't a problem for me with 5 dogs. I have had problems with wet clumping snow collapsing the tent, so now I usually just sleep in the car on top of the kennels.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
880 Posts
I've done it and will be doing it this weekend on my trip up to Edmonton. Warmth isn't a problem for me with 5 dogs. I have had problems with wet clumping snow collapsing the tent, so now I usually just sleep in the car on top of the kennels.
Posted via Mobile Device
That's definitely a new spin on bio-thermal energy.

Reactions: Aspen726

·
Registered
63 Posts
My father took us on winter blizzard tent trips when we were children, during school time, despite my mom's desire for us not to miss school, but he said it was important! Lol

All we had was a van and a tent. My dad and I would tough the tent and my mom and sisters (3) would sleep in the van with the heater on.

In the tent I just had a sleeping bag and a pillow, maybe an extra blanket but I get hot quickly, even in a blizzard.

I remember waking up and my dad made me push the snow over to open the flap door. Amazing experience overall, he would explain where he grew up this would be a daily thing and big winter storms were in Korea were frightening up in the mountains where he was raised.
All you need is extra blanket and a lot of extra towels, dogs get really wet in snowy areas.
Just make sure you're not camping in some heavy stuff.

My dogs would do fine in any snowy condition since they originate from Korea too, much colder and hotter over there.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.