Dog Forum banner
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Since getting my new camera and now having two dogs to take pictures of, I seem to be doing just that - taking a HEAP of pictures. So I thought instead of started a new thread, I would make one thread and bomb it with a heap of pictures.

With all this time I'm having off work (dog kennel, still learning and not enough dogs in to require two people so I'm off work until things pick up again), I decided to take the girls to the park and enjoy the fine weather while it lasts - who would have guessed it's winter?
Pip was on a long line, she's such an independent pup that I just don't trust her to stick by me at this stage especially since this park is right next to the main road and not fully fenced.
Callie is the one who surprised me the most, I've been doing some major work on her recall and impulse control and that day, it paid off. We came across about 6 different people, a few with dogs, a few runners, all very exciting and guess what? I was able to easily redirect her and she stayed with me and didn't go running over to anyone!

I actually got a new camera back in.. December. My first ever DSLR. I love the camera and a majority of the pictures I am able to take but the insanely slow auto-focus was driving me mental so I went and got a new lense. It's definitely not anywhere near the standard of my previous camera with taking pictures of moving animals but after months of having this camera, I'm finally getting brave enough to play with the ISO and F-stop settings and see what I can get.
As I said, pictures while animals are moving still isn't great but you do get the odd one that is somewhat acceptable.

Some of Pip :

Some of Callie :

And now.. here is the trouble with having two dogs, sometimes one of them gets bored waiting on the side and decides to run in and attempt to start a game.

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
I cant believe how much Pip has grown already, I love all of her freckles. It seems like her and Callie are getting along great. I love the pictures of them playing together, and the one of Pip on the blanket? is adorable.
Good job :)

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I cant believe how much Pip has grown already, I love all of her freckles. It seems like her and Callie are getting along great. I love the pictures of them playing together, and the one of Pip on the blanket? is adorable.
Her freckles are becoming more and more obvious with each day - Dad finds them annoying because she forever looks dirty ;) When I first got her at 9 weeks she was.. 3kg, at 12 weeks she was 4kg and 18 weeks she's still a tiny 5.4kg.

Callie and Pip get along great, they only time their great friendship gets a tad annoying is when they are playing "I'm going to bite you" with each other right up against your side..

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
the one of Pip on the blanket? is adorable.
I was going to just edit this into my first reply but I was a bit late in doing so.
The "blanket" is actually one of my pillows.. I couldn't find her one day so I called her name and out of the corner of my eye I seem something pop up from behind my pillows - there she was!
She has this love of burrowing, I've more or less given up on making my bed because I can almost guarantee that at some point during the day, she will burrow under at least one of the blankets and more often than not, my pillows will end up on the floor.

Reactions: Sabina88

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
More pictures!
Sorry, I ended up going out into the paddock to play a game of fetch and figured it would be a perfect time to try out the Tv, (shutter priority) setting.

·
Premium Member
9,197 Posts
Oh they look like the best of friends! Callie looks so gorwn up! And Pip is adorable!

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Winter has finally decided to make an appearance, it's about time! We have had some pretty heavy showers over the weekend which I am actually happy about but the downside? The paddocks are a little muddy especially down by the dam which is exactly where we went! Do note, the grass that is yellow is kikuyu which while it grows really well in summer, one frost can easily kill it.

The zoomies began pretty quickly, sadly my camera isn't a fan of cloudy days so the quality is beyond terrible but they were the best I got.

Despite the fact that Callie is going to be 2 in a few months, her ears still haven't fully settled - they more or less change with her mood.

And the only picture I REALLY like from today :

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The downside to asking for advice in relation to photography is that everyone has their own opinion and personal experience. Some were telling me that for taking pictures of a moving object, I need to have a high shutter speed (1/1000 or higher) and others were saying lower shutter speeds like 1/150 would be perfectly fine. I've been trying out the higher shutter speeds and I just end up with a grainy blur so today I tried out the lower shutter speed and while I didn't take many pictures, I did end up with one I quite like (except for the lack of light).

And Pip at sunset

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
I love the one with pip in the sunset,

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
More pictures! I may be obsessed..
What's happened with winter?! It's been so sunny lately, I'm actually missing all the rain we usually get in winter - August is usually our coldest month and we haven't needed the fire yet.
Our little adventures down to the dam would be so much more fun if I had water loving dogs..

I also snapped a few pretty pictures of Callie so I thought I'd share :)

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It's time to Ruuuuuuuuuuunnnnnnnn!

Now, a game of fetch in this household works rather simply : I throw the ball, Callie goes to get it and brings it back, as soon as she drops it that's when Pip comes along, grabs the ball and runs off. She eventually gets bored and that's when Callie steals it back.
And repeat.

I know weight bearing bones are controversial but I know my dogs and neither are the type to chomp down on such large bones - once the meat and marrow are gone, they couldn't care less. So today they shared a bone!

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
My Mum came for a visit on Saturday. She hasn't seen Pip since the day she dropped her off about 3 months ago - apparently Pip doesn't look at all like she thought she would while I think she looked rather similar to her Mum.

Thats Pips Mum and a few siblings (I think maybe the first one could be Pip herself but yay for super young baby pictures!)

With warmer weather being on its way, I've been working with Callie in hopes that one day she will love the water. She is more than happy to go into the water up to her stomach but once she can't feel ground beneath her feet, she stops.. Progress none-the-less.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I am sooooo tired! Woke up at 3.30am, left to go to Auckland at 5am, got back home around 5pm. During those 12 hours however, I went to see Stacey and Mia! The beach she took me to was absolutely stunning, a secret doggy paradise for some - we were there for 2-3hrs and it was, for the most part, deserted.
So a quick "photo dump" and off to bed I go - 12 of the.. 30 odd pictures that made the cut :)

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Today is the big day!
I can't believe Pip is 6 months already! I would have loved to have waited to get her spayed but Pips hernia needs to be repaired and I would much rather have it repaired now when it isn't an issue than waiting and have it become a problem.
Since the vet I took her too is a bit far away compared to my usual vet (usual vet is 20 minutes away while this one is 40 minutes away), I decided to take Callie along with me and on the way home make a "quick" stop at the beach - heading to this vet, there are two dog friendly beaches not far off the main road. I never thought my water hating dog would enjoy the beach so much! She spent an entire hour running around in the water, up and down the beach, having so much fun playing in the waves - what a dork!

I'll be at the vets to pick up Pip at 4.45pm (thats in what.. 4.5hrs?), just waiting for them to give me a call to say how the surgery went. Patiently waiting.
I have Callies crate set up for her with a nice clean bed, a couple of blankets and a play pen set up around the crate to give her some extra room to move around when she feels up to it. For the ride home she will go in her own crate which I will stick in the play pen area once home and she can get out when she feels comfortable enough to do so.
It feels like so long ago that Callie was spayed and I'm trying to remember how I did everything..

Reactions: jclark343

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
I love those pictures of Callie, she looks like she had a blast.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Oh my gosh, Callies 2nd birthday is coming up!
When I first got her, I had all these expectations of what she would know by the time she was 1, a long list of behaviours I expected. Ironically, all those expectations went out the window when I realised Callie wasn't ever going to be the stereotypical bomb-proof dog (dog/people friendly, good with kids, the type of dog you can take anywhere with you).
I struggled for a long time with my expectations and accepting they weren't going to be a reality. It took a long time to accept the dog that Callie was.. and is! The silly thing is? I don't know whether she has suddenly met all my original expectations or if my expectations have completely changed, all I know is that I am extremely happy with the dog she has become.

She's always been an excitable dog, going out places was really exciting for her to the point of being overthreshold. For some reason I never thought she could be excited because of the lack of experience with said things - living 30 minutes drive out of town isn't always a good thing.
So I'm taking full advantage of Spring/Summer and doing A LOT more leashed walks (in public, not referring to our leashed walks in our neighborhood), park/store visits, beach trips and so on. She's beyond thrilled about it all ;)

Even Dad has noticed a change in her, she is calmer, listens more often, has more impulse control. We got the cows in today and long story short, Callie was able to hold a down-stay for 10 minutes while I went to round up the cows (normally she would help but we have two cows who have month old calves and to them, a dog is a major threat). She didn't react once to the yearlings even though they were practically sniffing her behind!

So on to some of the pictures.
Another beach trip except this time, with Pip!

And next being a few from calf training today, not just of the doggies ;)

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
Yaa for Callie :), the girls looked like they had a lot of fun at the beach.

Omg those calves are adorable and fuzzy, what kind are they?

1 - 20 of 64 Posts