Dog Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm in the process of buying my first dog. I've been doing a good bit of research but I can't seem to find anything that suits my "wants". So I figured I'd sign up here and ask. I'm looking for a dog around the size of 50lbs. I live in a apartment with a small yard, I'm not looking to groom alot, maybe everyother week. I'm looking for a dog that is up for anything, going for a run/hike, getting on a boat and maybe going for a swim, I'm looking for it to be a companion and hop on the couch and watch some tv, I work 8.5 hours a day so it needs to be okay I'm the house for that amount of time. I would also like one that is relatively easily trained as it's my first dog. Also and most importantly it has to get along well with cats. I have two cats and I'm not willing to get rid of them. I've been looking at border collies or australian shepherd but neither seem to be good with cats and require a little too much exercise for my needs. (If that helps narrow it down a bit)
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2,915 Posts
Have you considered a Lab? Or perhaps a young adult, short haired mix from a shelter/rescue? You could skip the stressful puppy stage, and if you go for a dog that has been fostered in a home they can tell you a lot more about that dogs temperament or where s/he would fit.

·
Premium Member
4,599 Posts
I was also going to suggest a Lab or Lab mix! I would avoid the herding breeds, simply because you're not going to be there during the day and these guys really thrive on having a job to do all day long. But if you get a lab that's more from show lines and less from field/working lines, you could easily raise it with cats and it would adjust fine.

·
Registered
2,711 Posts
I third an adult mix from a shelter/rescue. It's very difficult to properly socialize and train a puppy when you work full time, but a mellow adult would be fine with that, as long as you exercise him or her before and after work. Labs and lab mixes are generally a good idea, they usually have stable temperaments, low prey drive and tend to be forgiving of newbie mistakes.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well I just got back from the shelter and they didn't have anything I was looking for. Mostly just pit bull mixes. Actually labs were the first dogs I looked at. But I think they may be a tad to big for me. Unless I could get a female that was the runt of the litter. And I ruled out the herding dogs, but I just threw those breeds put there cause they were about the size I was looking for.

·
Registered
2,915 Posts
You may have to branch out a bit. Try running a search on petfinder.com or adoptapet.com as that will bring up dogs in shelters and rescues within a radius.

Some Labs are larger, but it's relatively easy to find a mix that is about the size you want. And the bonus of looking for a young adult is you already know how big the dog will be!

·
Premium Member
4,599 Posts
I second petfinder.com - I routinely go on there and just look at all the adorable dogs. Just for kicks, I just looked on there for Lab/Lab mixes and there are 19,145 lab/lab mixes (I searched for Young, Adult) and also okay with cats. A good majority of them seem to be between 40-60 pounds. Now that is in a big city near me (Toronto, Ontario), but I'm sure you'd have luck too!

Edit: Just look at this cutie!!! https://www.petfinder.com/petdetail/32437744/

Must remember, I'm already getting another puppy...

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Okay that sounds good. So next question does male or female matter? I know males generally get larger but with cats or what I'm looking to do with it? It will be fixed within a couple weeks of me getting it

·
Registered
2,915 Posts
Since the cats are a concern, I'd just look for one that has been around cats and/or tested with them. It would be great if there was a dog living in a foster home with cats so they could tell you, but that may or may not be possible.

I've had dogs of both genders and I think only in some more intense breeds is gender a factor. With Labs, it really doesn't so it's up to personal preference and the individual dog.

I do suggest you write out a clear cut "must have" list for this dog, based on what you are not at all willing to compromise on. That way, when you contact rescues and shelters looking for a dog, you have a clear set of expectations for them to work around when suggesting dogs. Sometimes it's just easier for them to know your absolute must haves, and if you sit down and make a list, its harder for you to forget certain things during the conversation.

·
Premium Member
4,599 Posts
My family has all girl dogs, and mine is a boy, and I don't really notice a difference between them. I do think boys are a little more goofy, but that could also just be his personality.

And I completely agree with @PoppyKenna, the more consistent your expectations, the happier everyone will be.

Reactions: Tuckersmom

·
Registered
562 Posts
So glad you're looking at shelter dogs! They're the BEST! :)

I wanted to mention you probably won't have to worry about getting the dog fixed, as more than likely the dogs listed on Petfinder are at shelters/dog pounds, and those are almost always routinely fixed before they are adopted.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
well like i said the shelter didnt pan out. But i found alocal breeder of choc labs and i went to just look and i fell in love with a little girl. I couldn't resit so i bought her. So anyways she is 8 weeks old, how much should i feed her? are there any resources to learn about training etc. any advice would help thanks.
p.s. my one cats already starting to get along with her, the other is watching from a far but hes always been a little skittish

·
Registered
875 Posts
Get a high quality bag of puppy food - NOT PURINA OR PEDIGREE both are **** - and follow the directions on the back as to how much to feed her. You're going to need to bring her outside to potty every hour or two at most, because she's an infant and can't hold it.

If this really is your first dog you need to read up on how to raise a puppy like, now. There's stickies in the puppy forum, get on them ASAP.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The breeder recommended that I get "retriever puppy mix" from tractor supply. He said that's what he has been feeding her so that's what I got. And this is my first dog by my self. I had dogs/puppies growing up.

·
Premium Member
4,599 Posts
I would do some research on dog foods to find one that is a good quality. Fromms, Acana, Taste of the Wild, Merrick (although that has the potential to change since it was just bought by Purina). Dog Food Reviews and Ratings | Dog Food Advisor is a good place to start.

And I second reading all the stickies in the puppy help section, especially now that you have a puppy in the house! Your biggest problems with be pottying, she'll need to out at least once an hour, sometimes more if you've had a good play session.

I must say, I'm a little surprised you got to go look, and leave with a puppy, but that's neither here nor there. Pictures please!

Reactions: Tuckersmom

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I will get pictures up as soon as I get to a computer, I'm on my phone now. But where are these stickies? I can only find the one about making sure it's a reputable breeder.

·
Premium Member
4,599 Posts
1 - 17 of 17 Posts