Dog Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My husband and I have had a 6 month old English Bulldog puppy for about a week now. We learned after we brought him home that his previous owners had him in a diaper the majority of his time with them. Now, he doesn't squat when he defecates or lifts his leg when he urinates. He only goes while he sleeps or when he is barking. Its making it a little hard to train him because he doesn't go at all when we walk him. We are waiting to hear back about some GI tests he had with the vet, but other than that, they said he was healthy and didn't seem to have any issues. They agreed with us that this may be some residual effects from being in a diaper all the time but we are wondering how to compact this in an effort to get him to go outside. Any advice would be helpful and appreciated.

Thank you!
Plot's Mama

·
Super Moderator
1,252 Posts
How odd that he toilets while barking or sleeping - did I read that correctly?

All I have is the usual advice of taking him out frequently so at some stage he will toilet; then when he does reward him immediately with a high value treat. It has to be immediate so that it is clear that it is for toileting and not for anything else, and it has to be high value to make it worth his while to hold his toilet. Toilet training happens when the ability to hold his toilet comes together with the desire to hold it to earn the reward he gets for doing it outside.

If he hasn't been required to hold his bladder and bowel, he won't have developed the physical control so take him out frequently including overnight.

If he has an accident inside don't react at all. If you get annoyed he may learn to fear your reaction and avoid you if he needs to toilet (by going off and toileting out of sight) - the opposite of what you want. Dogs cant make the distinction between you being annoyed at him TOILETING, as opposed to toileting INDOORS. Then clean the area with an enzymatic cleaner to remove any trace of smell that might attract him back to the spot.

Indoors if you see him circling or scratching the floor, that can sometimes precede toileting so get him out fast.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts