Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone.

New here and I am looking for some tips on helping build focus and impulse control with my German Shepherd Dog. She is 3 and it doesn't seem like she had much structure in her previous homes. We have been teaching her stuff and she has made lots of progress, but she get aroused very quickly especially when she sees other dogs.

We have enrolled in a focus class and have done 2 classes out of 4 so far and even though she has made some progress from one class to the other, she is still not able to be among the other dogs. We stay far off to the side, separated by a 3ft high visual barrier. I am not expecting quick results, I am just describing how it is. She is not afraid of them, she is too excited and will pull and whine and bark if we get too close.

Anyhow, I know the concept of working under threshold and taking baby steps, etc. What I am writing to ask about is any specific games or exercises that could help teach her, not necessarily pertaining to dogs but in self-imposed control in general.

She has got a lot better since we got her, but there is still a ways to go. She is a very smart, motivated and perceptive dog, which is unfortunately a double-edged sword as even though she catches on very quickly she can get distracted by something just as easily.

I find it easier to keep her attention in situations where I can move a lot. As in, though in theory, a park should be more distracting than our front lawn, it is easier to keep her engaged at the park since I can move around more (we use a long line for safety).

I also find it is easier to keep her attention when she isn't as "forced". As in, if I walk her on a 15ft leash she will go a bit ahead, wait, come back and generally stay by my side. Obviously, I can't always walk her on a 15ft leash for safety reasons. If I walk her with a regular 6ft leash, it is like she is more distant. She walks on a loose leash, it's not a question of pulling, I don't really now how to explain it. It's almost like it is a conflict between being "controlled" and being more free. The more free she is, the closer (mentally) she tends to be. (This is all excluding getting too close to dogs, then the pulling, whining, etc comes out). It is also hard to get her on a toy during walks as I don't have enough room to light her up, so to speak.

What would you suggest to practice with this dog? I don't expect her to be focused on me all the time, but I would like to build on it and also on her impulse control. I think these two building blocks are very important if we are ever going to get over this going nuts when she sees dogs.

PS: I know there was a sticky about this, but I tried to open it several times and the videos don't load. I think the thread might be too "heavy" for my computer. So, instead of directing me to that thread, if you can post a link to the videos that might be helpful, I would appreciate it. Thanks :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Sorry, tried to edit but it won't let me.

Forgot to say, as far as being aroused by movement goes, I have been doing exercises with toys like sit and watch me while teasing with flirt pole sorts of things, waiting for cue before going after toy, recalling off ball chases, etc. I don't know how else to teach her to think and restrain herself when around moving things aside from using toys. Any ideas appreciated.

·
Registered
12,236 Posts
In our training sticky section, there is one on impulse control. I would take a look at that for starters!
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the reply, Crock. I have been trying to open that thread for several days now, but like I said, I think all the embedded videos make it too "heavy" for my computer to open. It just keeps loading and then jams. I'll keep trying though. Thanks.

·
Registered
12,236 Posts
Oh sorry @GoDogGo! I didn't read the last bit.

The youtubes include Pappi's list. Mostly I just searched key words there like impulse control, self control, dog zen, relax on a mat, settle, etc. Also, premack is great for building impulse control!
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Premium Member
11,875 Posts
Not really impulse control but check out the reactivity thread. At some point you'll need to teach your dog how to remain calm when looking at other dogs. The ''look at that'' game and some of the other games in the reactivity sticky thread will help with that.:)

Otherwise, tug and flirt pole with rules (get it only when told, let go when told) is my favorite impulse control exercise. Over time I make it harder and harder. Swinging the tug, tossing it, touching my dogs with the tug, etc. :)
Posted via Mobile Device

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.