Dog Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I currently have a 7 month old blue heeler precious baby girl! I love her! Although she doesn't respect me. I know blue heelers chose one person to be their alpha, and she chose my boyfriend. She listens to everything he says and wont listen to a single word I say. But she obsessed with me. Jumps all over me when me and my boyfriend come home. Follow me all around the house, every single move I make. (she doesn't do this to my boyfriend). I just want her to listen to me.. I don't know what to do.

NOW, my boyfriend is getting a Doberman and it is 100% for sure, he already put the deposit down. I am so nervous for them to live together. The BH is soooo skiddish and definitely has depression and anxiety. She has only been around two other dogs in her life. She was dominant to the first one and aggressive to the second..

I would like to hear some ways I can get my precious BH to respect me! and anyone have an experience or know of these two dogs living together. Apparantly I'm going to find out in a week..

·
Registered
95 Posts
Is it possible that your boyfriend might be a little bit more consistent? Because that's what happened with my Doberman! My boyfriend is very consistent, while I'm more lovey dovey. Just make sure to set up ground rules. Like 5 -6, print them and put them on your refrigerator. These are rules NO ONE can break! No exceptions! Like: 'no dogs on the couch' or 'no food from the table'.

Good luck! Don't worry about it too much.

Love,
Valerie

(Btw, I live with 4 dogs, and if you are consistent, follow the rules, no special treatments for the new puppy, you'll be just fine!)

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
In my opinion, she needs some training, and by far the easiest command to train is the sit. Train with treats, and train several times a day until she has it down and then train with distractions. The benefit is that when she starts to jump around you can just put her into a sit.
My opinion also is to get the word alpha out of your vocabulary. Any dog can learn a few simply commands from anyone who has time, patience, and a large supply of yummy treats such as sliced hot dogs.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts