Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dogs LOVE getting brushed. I have several different kinds of brushes, and we sit out on the deck and they take turns getting brushed.
Not everyone has time to do that, but I noticed that when I do daily brushings there is a lot less dog hair in the house. I'd much rather brush every day than vacuum every day.
I have:
A steel comb
Two different kinds of slicker brushes
A metal horse curry comb
A furminator type brush

What do you use to brush your dogs?

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
I have a metal 'rake' I use on my dog Jaya. Due to her being kind of feral, it's stressful for her to be handled for very long and her coat is such that a rake run lightly into her fur brings up wads and wads of loose hair stuck under the top coat.
(She's an Aussie mix). So I can usually give Jaya a quick brushing and let her go. I don't bother doing anything other than the 'rough' work...no fine brushing of the feathers or tail...if there are major knots, I just cut them rather than work them out with a brush.

HaHa, my full blood Golden Retriever, I use a couple of things on him...the rake over his back and down his back quarters during those times he's blowing his coat, but otherwise I don't use the rake on him that often. I use a regular old human hair brush with lots of soft bristles on it for this body, tail, ribs and chest area. I use my cat's slicker brush that has lots of little metal tines on it on his legs, and a plain old mid-sized comb (also meant for humans) on his leg's 'feathers'.

Might not be the exact right tools, being they are not all designed as 'dog brushes' but they get the job done and HaHa doesn't show any discomfort when I use those brushes on him.

Stormy

Reactions: Lucillle

·
Registered
262 Posts
I use the Zoom Groom by Kong, the rubber nozzles make it feel like a massage for my dogs so they sit still willingly and enjoy it, and it still gets out a TON of hair. I try to do it every couple of days, and it does make the coat seem way more shiny and smooth. Could not recommend that brush more, it's cheap too!

·
Premium Member
4,599 Posts
Rake for removal of undercoat, slicker brush for top coat, pin brush to get his coat to look nice, thinning shears for pants, metal comb for ears and feathers and scissors for paws.

·
Premium Member
10,780 Posts
Zody has a short, slick, coat and the ZoomGroom is about the only brush that works well to get the loose hair out of it. A bonus is that he does not mind when I use it on him and will sit still letting me brush him.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.