Dog Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
He is about 2 years old and if he was ever brushed before, he didn't like it or wasn't taught how to be still. Claws too... yikes! Waaaay too long. But I'm OK on that. First trimming done and will do another tomorrow.

For brushing, I am working on him a bit at a time, never more than a few minutes (5 or so I'd say) and have gotten rid of the worst of the dead hair at the neck, chest and belly areas. I am now moving into the tail and rump. Not fun. I wonder if I'll ever catch up at only a few minutes each time. :rolleyes:

So, I'm looking for some tips on what brushes to use and how to actually brush, especially at areas where very hairy areas are beside areas where the fur is sparse, like the back of the legs toward the inside. He has some matting between his legs and I don't want to scratch him.

I no longer have a slicker / pin brush, but I'm thinking I have to get one for this dog.

Any videos that demonstrate would be good. I started looking on you tube, but some videos on there are really truly bad and I don't want to get blind-sided ;) A quick look shows one person grooming bottom up, undercoat first, in layers, with the natural lay of the fur. Another shows starting at the head, brushing against the lay.

Thanks for any tips.

·
Registered
862 Posts
a good slicker brush, grey hound comb and rake would be the top 3 I would want. deffiently invest in those.

make it a positive experience. make it fun, with treats and toys and tons of praise. best thing to do is attach a collar and leash to him, and tie him to he cant just up and leave.

·
Registered
894 Posts

Hopefully this will help with the nail clipping.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Tankstar -- Thanks. I guess a store like Petsmart will know what a greyhound brush and rake are. I hope to get to a store today and will check it out. And I am trying to make brushing enjoyable. I've done this before with dogs, so the training part isn't an issue. It's the method that I'd like to improve on. I'll ask at Petsmart today as well. I'm sure their groomers will give me some guidance. Hopefully I get a good one :)

Swimity -- Thanks to you too. I'm ok on the nails. He looooves to have his belly scratched. So it's a scratch, scratch, clip, scratch. Scratch, scratch, clip, scratch! Repeat 20 times!

·
Registered
58 Posts
For the brusing part,you sholdnt go aghinest the lay of the hair. You just wanna keep giving him a positive attitude,and talk to him the wole time...i know that sounds silly,but i will work,just be gentle...And for those matts,dont try to brush them out..it will just cause pain for your dog. that area is senstive. so i would just cut them off...i hope i helped! just message me is you have any questions!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts