Dog Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Super Moderator
10,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On Monday I took Zody, my 7 year old Chi x Dach, to have his teeth cleaned and a molar removed. The molar had a slab fracture, but other then that his teeth were in good shape. I got him back around 4PM and around 5PM I noticed that he seemed to have some swelling on his chest, but since it didn't seem to bother him I opted to wait and see if it resolved. The next morning it was gone so I didn't think anything of it. Around 10 minutes ago He rolled onto his side for a belly rub and when I glanced over I noticed the skin in his armpit looked really dark, I flipped him over to see what it was, honestly I thought it was a shadow, and noticed that his chest is bruised from one side to the other.

Does anyone know if this is a common occurrence when a tooth is extracted? I will be calling the vet in the morning to ask what in the heck happened, and I imagine that it must have been a lot of blood under the skin that caused the swelling that first night, but has anyone else's dog had that happen? He's acting fine, has been willing to eat since that first night. Today he doesn't seem to be in any pain even though I did not give him his pain med today.

·
Super Moderator
401 Posts
I will start by saying I don't know but if I had to take a guess, maybe he had to be held in place for someone to get enough resistance to pull the tooth?

·
Super Moderator
10,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I will start by saying I don't know but if I had to take a guess, maybe he had to be held in place for someone to get enough resistance to pull the tooth?
When they clean teeth, or remove them, they are sedated, so I doubt that it would have been that.

What they told me, when I called this morning, is that it's most likely from the blood draw that they did to do the pre anesthesia blood work.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts