Dog Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
18,680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've been here a while and I think its time to fill you all in on the physical quirks of my pups

Emma...when I got Emma she was shutdown..You talked to her and she cowered...very sensitive dog...all of her canine teeth were broken...vet thinks she chewed on rocks or som'thing...its possible they were broken by physical trama tho.

Critter...Was dancing in her cage at the pound..I looked at her age and her cloudy eyes and thought....wow no ones going to adopt this one...after talking to the staff they recomended her...go fig... walked funny...trip to the vet and xrays revealed deformed femur...30% shorter than its supposed to be and bumpy.

Tippy...aaaaahhh tippy...my little medical enigma...she has "nothing wrong with her" according to the vets...brain and back legs don't communicate correctly...so shes walks like a drunk...shes in no pain.
Fast forward a year...I take her in for what I think is an ear infection and low and behold...no eardrum...and ear canal is small and deformed...

Kiwi had generalized demodectic mange...she had maybe 20% of her hair...looked like a nekid little pig...she also had a prolapsed uterus as a puppy...lived in the shelter a year and was returned once (no idea why)

Chili....well visuals are better with Chili..that red is not a trick of the camera

5wks old...mange...yeast infection of the skin...baterial infection of the skin.....giardia...full of worms.. he has pus filled sores everywhere....just basically should have been dead...he wieghed about 2lbs at the time. You can't see how thin he is under all those doggy clothes.

So...the reason Im putting this all out there on the table.

These dogs are obviously rescues...

they are polite, charming and just generally great pets...but no one wanted them because of these treatable and liveable problems. They had behavior issues that were overcome as well.

They are sweet souls who deserved better than what they were dealt...

I have spent countless hours at the vet...and spend whole paychecks on vet bills...

but to me its worth it. :)

look at chili now. :)

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
12,054 Posts
wow thanks for sharing such stories! I meant to ask when watching the video of Tippy and the tire if he/she? (not good with names and sex) had neurological problems. I wish more people would not overlook dogs just because of future "vet bills". With all of our animals, especially our ferrets, we have thousands of dollars invested into them and never thought twice about any medical treatment.

·
Registered
18,680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah, Tippy is a girl...

She wasn't planned...people would walk up to her cage and say "aaaw what a cute dog" and then she would fall down.

People would not hide their disgust and then move on to the dogs that were closer to perfect...so i felt compelled to help her get out of there.

I could have rehomed her a dozen times by now...shes a doll and everyone loves her.

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
12,054 Posts
We got Tinkerbell (our first chihuahua) through the humane society and I think she was abused or bullied by kids. She would shy away from hands around the head, sat in the back corner of her cage not moving. She did not snap and when I held her she actually kissed me once so we took her home, within 5 mins of leaving the shelter she perked up and has taken very well to head touches. I was shocked how much she was overlooked since she is a great looking chihuahua. When we donate to the shelters we look at the dogs and I am drawn to the dogs who are "ugly" or "old" or have special needs.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Fabulous stories! Thanks for sharing them.

Pawz, it's the kisses that do it! I pulled Rascal (Sheltie mix) out of a Humane Society with the intent of taking him to Sheltie rescue. Well....he licked my nose. I was a goner. :) :)

He's my little love bug.

·
Registered
12,054 Posts
Fabulous stories! Thanks for sharing them.

Pawz, it's the kisses that do it! I pulled Rascal (Sheltie mix) out of a Humane Society with the intent of taking him to Sheltie rescue. Well....he licked my nose. I was a goner. :) :)

He's my little love bug.
That is too cute. I think it was a sheltie that won the dog show I watched yesterday (I think it was a re-run but still) real cute dog

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
Wow what a heartwarming thread! That is so wonderful that you adopted all of those dogs!!! How are they doing now?

·
Registered
7,550 Posts
Awww Crio- I knew you had special dogs but !! Thanks for sharing!! Sounds like my bunny crew-people just roll their eyes when they hear ;)

·
Banned
556 Posts
I've been here a while and I think its time to fill you all in on the physical quirks of my pups

Emma...when I got Emma she was shutdown..You talked to her and she cowered...very sensitive dog...all of her canine teeth were broken...vet thinks she chewed on rocks or som'thing...its possible they were broken by physical trama tho.
Absolutely Poor Baby! I fostered a dog once that had that as well. Its heart breaking and in my thoughts and prayers.

Critter...Was dancing in her cage at the pound..I looked at her age and her cloudy eyes and thought....wow no ones going to adopt this one...after talking to the staff they recomended her...go fig... walked funny...trip to the vet and xrays revealed deformed femur...30% shorter than its supposed to be and bumpy.
Wow- poor baby! Have you tried some shark cartiledge? That seems to help alot.

Tippy...aaaaahhh tippy...my little medical enigma...she has "nothing wrong with her" according to the vets...brain and back legs don't communicate correctly...so shes walks like a drunk...shes in no pain.
Fast forward a year...I take her in for what I think is an ear infection and low and behold...no eardrum...and ear canal is small and deformed...

Kiwi had generalized demodectic mange...she had maybe 20% of her hair...looked like a nekid little pig...she also had a prolapsed uterus as a puppy...lived in the shelter a year and was returned once (no idea why)
With DM I have found the addition of Vitamin C, Vitamin E, mackerel, and In-flight in the food helps tremedously! Adorable by the way!

Chili....well visuals are better with Chili..that red is not a trick of the camera

5wks old...mange...yeast infection of the skin...baterial infection of the skin.....giardia...full of worms.. he has pus filled sores everywhere....just basically should have been dead...he wieghed about 2lbs at the time. You can't see how thin he is under all those doggy clothes.
Same as the above in treatment- but you know- I do see some Chinese crested in there.. Hmmm...

So...the reason Im putting this all out there on the table.

These dogs are obviously rescues...

they are polite, charming and just generally great pets...but no one wanted them because of these treatable and liveable problems. They had behavior issues that were overcome as well.

They are sweet souls who deserved better than what they were dealt...
I sure agree with that one! but look what they have now- a perfect home, well loved and obviously adored!

I have spent countless hours at the vet...and spend whole paychecks on vet bills...Oh I bet- do not even want to know but its always worth it in the end..

but to me its worth it. :) I agree completely!

look at chili now. :)

What a heart warming crew! I offered some suggestions as it might help a bit but I also LOVED the pictures! ( answer or comments in red.. I hope.. lol)

·
Registered
266 Posts
I worship you for helping these pups!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts