Dog Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few days ago I noticed some dark brown spots on my puppy’s lower belly. They seemed to have appeared almost overnight (although I’m sure it was over the course of a few days). They’re not scabs...they’re not raised at all.

She’s almost 9 months old, was spayed back in July, and the only recent change was switching from puppy food (Blue Buffalo limited ingredient) to adult food at the recommendation of her vet. I switched her to Canidae lamb and brown rice and she’s been on it for about two weeks now. I think she’s still adjusting, as her stool is still a little light. But other than that she’s not displaying any other signs of not adjusting to the new food.

Not sure if it could be related to the new food, so wanted to mention it just in case. She also goes to daycare about once a week, so not sure if it could be some sort of skin thing from another. But does anyone have any idea what could be causing these spots, and if they are cause for concern?

Attachments

·
Registered
264 Posts
Just judging from the picture I would suspect that it could be a bit of a rash related to an allergic reaction. A common one would be to fleas if she's had them.

If it doesn't clear up on its own, gets worse, or the dog seems to be bothered by it then take her to a vet.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Could be some bleeding she had under the skin, tiny injuries. Sort of like bruises, just closer to the surface. They would have been bright red at first and then darkened as the blood aged.

She could have gotten them from cleaning/scratching herself or playing with the other dogs, tumbling on something as they were playing...

In time this old blood will be re-absorbed. If the marks spread, then it is something different. For a professional diagnosis you need to see the vet.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts