Dog Forum banner

41 - 58 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
Wishing you luck!
By chance is there a vet school (college) within reach if all else fails?
im not sure but I have a friend whose besties with a vet at a practice I used to go to (love the vet. Hate the practice). She is going to reach out to see if she will see me after hours as a favor for my own piece of mind

·
Registered
728 Posts
My BC was a rescue that I got from our Humane Society at 5 yrs old. She was perfectly healthy until she reached 14 and the seizures began. At first I thought that they could have been mini strokes, but they were short lived and infrequent after the CBD daily treatments.
MY vet was bought out by a money grubber and while the vets are great, the front office people are not!
While I was waiting for them to return her with the IV, a lady came in and tried to sell me a paw print! I had all that I could do to hold my tongue..I don't blame the lady since whe was only following instructions but I will never forget, since I still have 3 dogs that need care.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Coming in late, but sending all my very best wishes to you and my dog, and eager to hear how she is doing. What an awful situation you are in.

I guess I didn't even know how incredibly lucky I am, because my vet never closed for the pandemic, just required masks, and she will always take a dog in if there's an emergency, even if it means she works through lunch or closes after 5PM.

I have always known and been grateful for her kindness and generosity and true compassion in how she works, but I never heard anyone say they thought vets lacked compassion. That opinion can only come from very bad experience; different from what I have had with my vet.
I have had many other vets, some better or worse, but although I have had really bad experiences a few times, I haven't even gotten to the point of thinking that vets in general lack compassion. If that is true, it's very sad indeed. They shouldn't be doing that work if they lack compassion for the animals and the people.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
My BC was a rescue that I got from our Humane Society at 5 yrs old. She was perfectly healthy until she reached 14 and the seizures began. At first I thought that they could have been mini strokes, but they were short lived and infrequent after the CBD daily treatments.
MY vet was bought out by a money grubber and while the vets are great, the front office people are not!
While I was waiting for them to return her with the IV, a lady came in and tried to sell me a paw print! I had all that I could do to hold my tongue..I don't blame the lady since whe was only following instructions but I will never forget, since I still have 3 dogs that need care.
What an awful way to be treated in a loved ones last moments. I’m so sorry. Now that I’m calmer And she’s had some time to kind of recover, I do think there’s a medical issue but I don’t think it’s pyometra. Still needs a vet but I’m not as worried about her dying before I can find one.
Coming in late, but sending all my very best wishes to you and my dog, and eager to hear how she is doing. What an awful situation you are in.

I guess I didn't even know how incredibly lucky I am, because my vet never closed for the pandemic, just required masks, and she will always take a dog in if there's an emergency, even if it means she works through lunch or closes after 5PM.

I have always known and been grateful for her kindness and generosity and true compassion in how she works, but I never heard anyone say they thought vets lacked compassion. That opinion can only come from very bad experience; different from what I have had with my vet.
I have had many other vets, some better or worse, but although I have had really bad experiences a few times, I haven't even gotten to the point of thinking that vets in general lack compassion. If that is true, it's very sad indeed. They shouldn't be doing that work if they lack compassion for the animals and the people.
I wouldn’t go as far as to say they lack compassion. Most are very nice people. I know my vet, in particular, is a super dude. He doesn’t take much time off and he will usually squeeze us in. However he has a young family and also does a lot of dog rescue so schedule isn’t always ideal. This week has been an indicator of that. We travel far to see him because we adore him (into another state). I always didn’t question it because we have emergency vets who are available in an emergency. Except they aren’t right now.

One of the places I called said the problem is that there has been really insane uptick in visits since the pandemic because vets are so backlogged. I think the idea is that if you take one you have to take all. And most of the inquiries never make it to the vets, as they’re stopped at the front desk.

we are still trying hard to find someone today. I’m feeling more comfortable that it isn’t pyometra but REALLY want it looked at anyway. Her vulva opening looks clear now, a bit swollen.... However, I’m still not convinced enough to give up the search for someone To see her immediately. 🤷‍♀️🤷‍♀️ If I had a medical degree maybe it’s be different but I don’t specialize in doggies and have never had one who was (maybe) Unspayed before.

·
Registered
728 Posts
I am happy that you are feeling better and that hopefully it is not Pyometra. I was hoping that @agility collie mom would chime in, since she has worked for a vet and has some knowledge. She must be busy but hopefully she will return soon.

I don't know of anyone else on the forum that has any medical experience, and guessing is of little use.

I guess that any vet would be able to detect heat beats if there were puppies, but I have zero experience with anything of that nature.
Wishing you all the best and sincerely hope that you can get her in today. At least that way you can get a professional opinion to put your mind at ease.

Hmmmm ..are there mobile vets in your area?

·
Registered
804 Posts
She could also have this: Vaginitis in Dogs | VCA Animal Hospital (vcahospitals.com) which would explain the male dog's interest in her. As long as she is still active, eating, drinking and playing and does not have a fever she should be ok until you see your vet. There are two types of Pyometra one is open which means that the infection is able to drain. The other is closed which means the infection fills the uterus. Believe me you would know if your dog had a closed pyo. She would not be eating, drinking, be extremely lethargic and have a fever. If she is pregnant your vet should be able to palpitate puppies at this point. At day 49 and beyond the vet can xray and see puppies because their skeletons have calcified. As far as having trouble getting an appointment at any vet it can be very difficult. Our clinic never stopped seeing patient through the entire pandemic. We did curbside for a short time. There has been an increase of 600% pets adopted into home which added to the wait time for everyone. All vet practices were swamped. I know we were. Please keep us updated and I hope this was of some help. Please post a picture of your babies face. Would love to see her!!!

·
Registered
728 Posts
She could also have this: Vaginitis in Dogs | VCA Animal Hospital (vcahospitals.com) which would explain the male dog's interest in her. As long as she is still active, eating, drinking and playing and does not have a fever she should be ok until you see your vet. There are two types of Pyometra one is open which means that the infection is able to drain. The other is closed which means the infection fills the uterus. Believe me you would know if your dog had a closed pyo. She would not be eating, drinking, be extremely lethargic and have a fever. If she is pregnant your vet should be able to palpitate puppies at this point. At day 49 and beyond the vet can xray and see puppies because their skeletons have calcified. As far as having trouble getting an appointment at any vet it can be very difficult. Our clinic never stopped seeing patient through the entire pandemic. We did curbside for a short time. There has been an increase of 600% pets adopted into home which added to the wait time for everyone. All vet practices were swamped. I know we were. Please keep us updated and I hope this was of some help. Please post a picture of your babies face. Would love to see her!!!
Thank you!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
thanks. She’s still active and playing. She’s eating and drinking. She has no fever. She is eating a little more than usual and sneaking a lot of treats. She knows how to open doors and kept taking her cookies from the pantry. She was vomiting a bit today and I realized it was literal PILES of cookies. I hid them where she can’t reach and regular eating/no vomiting since. She’s gained over 10 lbs since I got her which is why I thought maybe she’s pregnant..but apparently she’s also a cookie hoarder. I know everyone is swamped and I appreciate you taking the time out to humor my insanity. :)

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
Were you able to see the vet today?
How is she doing?
I wish. I wasn’t but at least I was able to talk to someone (a friend) whose a vet. She said its probably not Pyometra because she’s young and she’s active. Even open pyometra, she’d be lethargic and Noticeably unwell. But obviously if she has symptoms like fever lethargy no food or water, find someone. A emergency vet isn’t going to refuse to see a dog whose clearly VERY sick. But if one comes in waggling her tail and smiling- they will probably not prioritize. So we will monitor and wait.

I did add a comment to @agility collie mom with a pic of my happy girl but It says pending moderator approval so I have no idea what that means. 🤷‍♀️🤷‍♀️

·
Registered
728 Posts
I wish. I wasn’t but at least I was able to talk to someone (a friend) whose a vet. She said its probably not Pyometra because she’s young and she’s active. Even open pyometra, she’d be lethargic and Noticeably unwell. But obviously if she has symptoms like fever lethargy no food or water, find someone. A emergency vet isn’t going to refuse to see a dog whose clearly VERY sick. But if one comes in waggling her tail and smiling- they will probably not prioritize. So we will monitor and wait.

I did add a comment to @agility collie mom with a pic of my happy girl but It says pending moderator approval so I have no idea what that means. 🤷‍♀️🤷‍♀️
From what I recall, the forum software has an algorithm that automatically puts certain posts in limbo for a mod's approval, (especially for newer members)
You can message @LMMB @JoanneF or @SusanLynn for clearance if they haven't reviewed your post yet.
Both LMMB and JoanneF are across the pond and are probably fast asleep atm. I believe that SusanLynn is in the USA, but can't remember her time zone.
Hope this helps and happy that you and your girl are doing well

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
From what I recall, the forum software has an algorithm that automatically puts certain posts in limbo for a mod's approval, (especially for newer members)
You can message @LMMB @JoanneF or @SusanLynn for clearance if they haven't reviewed your post yet.
Both LMMB and JoanneF are across the pond and are probably fast asleep atm. I believe that SusanLynn is in the USA, but can't remember her time zone.
Hope this helps and happy that you and your girl are doing well
Thanks! I actually managed to snap a few pics of her today while she’s in motion. She’s getting pretty chunky around the middle. I noticed but Today I NOTICED. Ya know? Shes an Aussie and she’s always had a lean aussie build. She’s not naturally stocky but she’s definitely getting wide. From the Top she looks like a stuffed sausage 😂😂😂😂

while I don’t relish the idea of pups for many reasons (inc we actually just committed to a second family dog... and we are planning on traveling early in July around “the time”.)- it really would be so much better than some alternatives.

But of course there’s the most hopeful and least likely alternative- she’s actually spayed like I was led to believe, she is getting fat because she likes to eat, and the leakage is some vaginitis that we can clear up with a quick vet trip! ;)

·
Administrator
1,161 Posts
@agility collie mom with a pic of my happy girl but It says pending moderator approval so I have no idea what that means. 🤷‍♀️🤷‍♀️
Sometimes the system flags posts that it thinks might be spam or malicious. Doesn't mean you posted spam or were malicious , just means the computer software there was something it wasn't sure of.

Is it Post 48 by any chance? If so, looks like it's been sorted. :)

Reactions: JoanneF

·
Registered
728 Posts
Thanks! I actually managed to snap a few pics of her today while she’s in motion. She’s getting pretty chunky around the middle. I noticed but Today I NOTICED. Ya know? Shes an Aussie and she’s always had a lean aussie build. She’s not naturally stocky but she’s definitely getting wide. From the Top she looks like a stuffed sausage 😂😂😂😂

while I don’t relish the idea of pups for many reasons (inc we actually just committed to a second family dog... and we are planning on traveling early in July around “the time”.)- it really would be so much better than some alternatives.

But of course there’s the most hopeful and least likely alternative- she’s actually spayed like I was led to believe, she is getting fat because she likes to eat, and the leakage is some vaginitis that we can clear up with a quick vet trip! ;)
View attachment 250882
Yep..I have had 2 Aussies and both loved to eat. Your girl does look a bit "wide" as you put it though..LOL
She also looks quite happy in that shot and hopefully you get to the bottom of this fast.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Sometimes the system flags posts that it thinks might be spam or malicious. Doesn't mean you posted spam or were malicious , just means the computer software there was something it wasn't sure of.

I think that it was post #51?

41 - 58 of 58 Posts