Dog Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a dog. She was spayed (supposedly). We let her play with an unneutered male puppy in April. He mated her. It was traumatic. She was screeching so I ran out to check on her. She was clearly in distress.
I took her to the vet because I was worried about physical trauma and he said he doesn’t see a spay tattoo, but he also didn’t fee a uterus. We scheduled a surgical consult to take a peek (which is coming up soon). I’m not convinced she’s spayed because of this incident(Mating), but also because the shelter we got her from said she came spayed As an owner surrender but provided no paperwork.

Lately she’s been getting hefty and sneaking treats. I also think her nipple are rounder? She’s tired but not lethargic. She is pooping and peeing normally. She is acting normally, active and has a little butt wag.

However I’ve noticed in the last 2-3 days she has brown mucous discharge on her vulva. It’s Discerning because I know that’s a sign of an infection. But wondering if it can be a sign of pregnancy?

Is brown mucous discharge a potential sign of pregnancy and/or normal in pregnancy, around 35-40 days? It is NOT so much that she’s leaking fluid. But it is enough where her fur in the area is damp.

I’m obviously concerned about pyometra (which I know is very dangerous). I’m hoping to hold off until our vet visit which is in about a week. Unfortunately with COVID, it’s hard to get an appointment. But I will go to the 24 hour animal hospital If I have to.

·
Super Moderator
4,892 Posts
Hopefully someone with breeding experience will have some advice.

But - if you think it might be pyometra, you need an appointment sooner than a week.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hopefully someone with breeding experience will have some advice.

But - if you think it might be pyometra, you need an appointment sooner than a week.
I will say, I don't actually have experience with Pyometra. Would there be other symptoms besides brown discharge? I have no idea. I don’t have enough experience to know, and locally, every vet is booked weeks out. Sometimes more. I’ve been calling everywhere. I just would feel rather stupid if I go to the emergency vet and pay a small fortune if it’s nothing urgent. I also don’t want to risk it if there’s a potential emergency.

she’s active and alert. She’s using the bathroom and eating (everything in sight). her nose is wet and her temperature is normal She’s young (under 2). But the internet keeps saying discharge = pyometra so I’m incredibly worried.

·
Registered
714 Posts
If the spay wasn't done correctly, the surgeon might have left an Ovarian Remnant, which will continue to produce Estrogen. Pyometra is a painful and deadly disease.

Can you take a picture of the discharge and send it to your vert now? It's not perfect, and an office visit is in order (immediately) but it would be better than nothing.
Hope your dog gets better.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Is it possible that the brown discharge could be from a normal heat, if indeed she hasn't been spayed? Is her vulva swollen at all?

·
Registered
714 Posts
None of my dogs ever got a spay tattoo, and they were all spayed; and the males neutered. No uterus means that a spay was done, but does not mean that it was done properly as I mentioned above.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I have an intact, female that is 5 yrs old. She's had 6 heats so far. My previous dog was an intact female until she died at 12. I have never noticed any type of discharge other than blood. My advice would take her to a vet!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
None of my dogs ever got a spay tattoo, and they were all spayed; and the males neutered. No uterus means that a spay was done, but does not mean that it was done properly as I mentioned above.
the vet said he was going to surgically check to see if there’s a uterus. He said just because he didn’t fell it doesn’t mean one didn’t exist. So it leaves an additional level of confusion. I did email him a picture, but he didn’t respond yet.

she is active and doesn’t appear to be in any pain but I also know something like this can go downhill fast. While the vulva doesn’t look unusual (just damp), here’s a photo of the mucous when I wiped it away.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have an intact, female that is 5 yrs old. She's had 6 heats so far. My previous dog was an intact female until she died at 12. I have never noticed any type of discharge other than blood. My advice would take her to a vet!
I agree. I’ve even tried vets that weren’t my usual vet. No one has ANY availability. Some are booking into October (wtf?). I did get a visit for next Monday With someone. Another option is the urgent care. But I’m not sure about bringing her to urgent care while she’s acting totally normally (they’re really expensive locally. When my cat was sick I spent about 16k in one visit). And we aren’t allowed to go inside.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
EDIT..16K for anything unplanned is outrageous!
Yes. He had some issues where his potassium and sodium weren’t balancing properly and it ended up causing dehydration and seizures. That’s just the normal price of vet care near me. I am sure at my regular vet I will not walk out spending less than 1k But I imagine much more at the emergency vet. But my pup is worth it for sure.

I will waita bit to seeif my regular vet reaches out. If not by 10pm I’ll just take her in. If they do message me back I’ll see if they can contact our emergency vet if you see your regular vet first, they don’t charge the 250 dollar “emergency” fee (just the 85 office visit plus everything else) 🙄🙄

·
Registered
714 Posts
Wow, that's crazy!
I thought that the vets in Reno, NV were robbers. Most have either been bought out by corporations or bought out by private money grubbers.
Getting an appointment here has also been difficult, but I believe that is due to the pent up demand from the Covid mess.

The extent (so far) of the increase here have been mostly small, but instead of a walk-in urgent care visit costing $15, it is now $75.

TBH, If I had the prices of vet care in your area, I would not have 3 dogs. In fact I might not even own a single dog, which would make me very sad.

I really hope that you can get this sorted out.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Wow, that's crazy!
I thought that the vets in Reno, NV were robbers. Most have either been bought out by corporations or bought out by private money grubbers.
Getting an appointment here has also been difficult, but I believe that is due to the pent up demand from the Covid mess.

The extent (so far) of the increase here have been mostly small, but instead of a walk-in urgent care visit costing $15, it is now $75.

TBH, If I had the prices of vet care in your area, I would not have 3 dogs. In fact I might not even own a single dog, which would make me very sad.

I really hope that you can get this sorted out.
Thanks. It’s a bit much but our cost of living in higher (in I’m NJ near NYC). We actually drive an hour+ each way to our vet (in another state) because they charge less per visit and it’s much more manageable. For emergencies, it is what it iS and luckily they don’t arise often. But this girl has been my lifeline since I got her. She has basically changed my entire family dynamic. I cannot even explain how valuable she is to us. So I’m the event that it costs my life savings to take her in, I’ll (not so) happily do it.
Because of my location it’s definitely the COVID mess that has everything in backlog. People didn’t take their pets for any non emergency care for the entire pandemic and i believe most vets actually shuttered their doors for a while. I’ve never had an issue like this before. While we have of course had waits for regular wellchecks, nothing like this for emergencies.

Luckily if she’s uncomfortable, she’s not really expressing it much. The only possible sign of an issue is that she’s whining at the door when I locked her out of my room for a second. She’s always needy but she will usually just hang out and wait.

·
Registered
714 Posts
Thanks. It’s a bit much but our cost of living in higher (in I’m NJ near NYC). We actually drive an hour+ each way to our vet (in another state) because they charge less per visit and it’s much more manageable. For emergencies, it is what it iS and luckily they don’t arise often. But this girl has been my lifeline since I got her. She has basically changed my entire family dynamic. I cannot even explain how valuable she is to us. So I’m the event that it costs my life savings to take her in, I’ll (not so) happily do it.
Because of my location it’s definitely the COVID mess that has everything in backlog. People didn’t take their pets for any non emergency care for the entire pandemic and i believe most vets actually shuttered their doors for a while. I’ve never had an issue like this before. While we have of course had waits for regular wellchecks, nothing like this for emergencies.

Luckily if she’s uncomfortable, she’s not really expressing it much. The only possible sign of an issue is that she’s whining at the door when I locked her out of my room for a second. She’s always needy but she will usually just hang out and wait.
I got upset when my longtime Vet's practice (over 10 yrs and 6 dogs worth) made me wait for 4 weeks to get a rabies booster for one of mine. I have used the same vet/surgeon for all those yrs and had it not been for her (she is just an employee), I would have been in search of a new vet 3 yrs ago.

Last summer (Covid was rampant here) I had a mobile vet come out to give one of mine her booster shots. Even that was only an additional $100 over a normal visit. It was understandable since the mobile vet came in a huge medically outfitted van and gas alone had to be a fortune.
Even though our positivity rate is under 4%, they still have not announced lifting restrictions..not even if we are fully vaccinated.
To make it worse, their website has been down for over a year, and it is even hard to get through on the phone!

IMO, there are many businesses that are using Covid as an excuse to charge more and give less service.

I left the Northeast in the 1970's and thought that it was expensive then..
Now all that I can say is that I am even happier to have moved when I did.(after hearing what you are going through.)

We do have a member here with animal medical experience, and perhaps @agility collie mom can give you some advice!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I got upset when my longtime Vet's practice (over 10 yrs and 6 dogs worth) made me wait for 4 weeks to get a rabies booster for one of mine. I have used the same vet/surgeon for all those yrs and had it not been for her (she is just an employee), I would have been in search of a new vet 3 yrs ago.

Last summer (Covid was rampant here) I had a mobile vet come out to give one of mine her booster shots. Even that was only an additional $100 over a normal visit. It was understandable since the mobile vet came in a huge medically outfitted van and gas alone had to be a fortune.
Even though our positivity rate is under 4%, they still have not announced lifting restrictions..not even if we are fully vaccinated.
To make it worse, their website has been down for over a year, and it is even hard to get through on the phone!

IMO, there are many businesses that are using Covid as an excuse to charge more and give less service.

I left the Northeast in the 1970's and thought that it was expensive then..
Now all that I can say is that I am even happier to have moved when I did.(after hearing what you are going through.)

We do have a member here with animal medical experience, and perhaps @agility collie mom can give you some advice!
I agree with that. Some Businesses are definitely using COVID as an excuse. It’s really frustrating. I’m just sitting here waiting for the vet to call back.

Im still in panic mode but I’m trying to prep her for the vet tonight. She freaked out when I tried to pick her up. She loves being held, so that was unusual. We also weighed her. She was 36.6 lbs at her well visit which was in February(when she was a tad underweight). today she was 49. She’s gained a lot of weight in the last month which is why I questioned possible pregnancy.

Also working in giving her a bath to give better access to her parts to the vet. She’s definitely not acting like herself and it needs to be addressed. I can’t wait

·
Registered
714 Posts
I really wish that I could offer more than my best wishes for you both. That's like a third of her original weight gained and something is definitely going on.

My last relatively small disaster was last month when one of mine tore a toenail and it was just hanging there and bleeding. Couldn't even get the vet to answer the phone at 2 pm on a weekday

I used quick-stop to stop the bleeding and luckily, the nail either fell off or she chewed it off that night!
Here's hoping that your vet can shed some light so that you can breathe easier.
I forgot..How many weeks have gone by since she tied up?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I really wish that I could offer more than my best wishes for you both. That's like a third of her original weight gained and something is definitely going on.

My last relatively small disaster was last month when one of mine tore a toenail and it was just hanging there and bleeding. Couldn't even get the vet to answer the phone at 2 pm on a weekday

I used quick-stop to stop the bleeding and luckily, the nail either fell off or she chewed it off that night!
Here's hoping that your vet can shed some light so that you can breathe easier.
I forgot..How many weeks have gone by since she tied up?
It was April 30th. So about 5.5

·
Registered
714 Posts
Hmmm, you might be correct about a possible pregnancy. ( I have NO experience with pregnancy.)
Even an unwanted pregnancy would be far better and less dangerous than Pyometra.

Again I am not speaking from experience, but it is my understanding that a dog only has to tie for a few minutes to become impregnated.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts