Dog Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First of all, hello to everyone! This is my first time on the forum and my first time posting. It's great to see so many fellow dog-lovers here.

I am here because I would like some guidance and/or hear opinions from people that have gone through similar situations.

My issue is that I have a 2 year-old Rat Terrier/Chihuahua mix that I rescued when he was only 3 weeks old. This is the first pet I have ever had, so you can imagine how well I have treated him. He has been treated like a king since day one. He was so energetic and loved to play. He was the only pet in the house for about 2 years and received all the attention from me, my wife, and everyone else.

Two weeks ago, I rescued another puppy (male as well and same breed). However, ever since then, my first dog has been acting weird. He hasn't been as playful, doesn't follow me around as he used to, and has been eating less as well (he was always a sucker for food). The puppy loves him and follows him wherever he goes. The first dog, though, just seems depressed.

Is this normal? Will it go away with time? What can I do to make it better? It sounds ridiculous, but he is making me feel guilty for bringing home another dog.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Our dogs, different dogs, three occasions, all took an adjustment period of about 2-3 weeks to accept the new dog.

Your dog probably has his nose out of joint, and so long as he isn't going to attack he puppy I'd let them crack on. Don't shower one or the other with attention, just go about with what you're doing.

It may be a good idea to go to puppy classes to give your other dog some respite from the playfullness that all pups have.

One of our Irish Setters decided to be an absolute madam when we brought home the pup. Two weeks she wanted nothing to do with us or the puppy, until we found her barking at the sky, stood over the puppy and a big bird of prey was circling above.

·
Registered
951 Posts
Dogs learn a lot about how to interact with other dogs between weeks 5 and 7, if your dog was 3 weeks old upon adoption, he missed a lot of that and is probably now quite confused by the other dog.

Some dogs just don't like other dogs. Some dogs just don't like puppies.

However, I suspect your dog is just confused about how to interact with other dogs. I'd suggest you make some serious efforts to have some you and first dog alone time, and also some first dog alone time all by himself, and that you also bring your puppy to interact with dogs that are properly socialized and who will therefore act in a more predictable appropriate way with your pup.

Also, expect that your dog may take anywhere from a few weeks to a few months to get used to the new member of the family unit.

·
Registered
53 Posts
you need to give more attention to you first dog. Feed him first before the second. Pet him first before the second, etc. else he just feels he lost your love for him, which makes him depressed.

And secondly did you check him for disease? worms, ticks etc? maybe he picked up some from the second dog which makes him tired and weak..

·
Registered
24 Posts
This problem happened to us when we brought our second dog home. our first dog ignored everyone and didn't like the new dog at all. After a little while they became friends and would start to play with each other. Now after 3 months of having the second dog these two are inseparable. You just have to give it time and make sure to give the first dog plenty of attention.

·
Registered
288 Posts
It's normal. My adult dog loved the new puppy at first, and after a day or two he realized she was kind of annoying and not going to leave. Haha. He's gone through some periods of being more clingy and kind of sad looking. I making sure to do things just with him and give him attention when she can't butt in.

As long as the older dog is not aggressive towards the puppy he will learn to adapt. He's had a big change in his life and needs to adapt to it, and that takes some dogs a couple weeks or months.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts