Dog Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lucas broke his toe about 3 weeks ago. He kept his first splint on but we took it off after 2 days because I thought his foot looked swollen and I was admittedly being overly cautious (vet told us to remove it if the splint slipped, toe looked swollen, or splint got wet).

We got the splint replaced the next day and kept that one on for over a week. I took it off because it got wet. I noticed Lucas had a hot spot on his du claw pad and it was pretty stinky. We couldn't get back to the vet for a few days but he wasn't limping so we just kept him to minimal activity.

Replaced splint for third time on Monday, left him home alone without the cone of shame because he didn't mess with his other splints. Came home and he had it almost completely removed.

His broken toe is on the outside of his right front paw. He isn't favoring his foot at all anymore but it is still a little swollen.

I am just wondering if anyone has had an experience with a broken toe. The vet mentioned on the initial visit that if he didn't tolerate the splint we could keep his activity limited and it should heal on its own.

Does anyone have experience letting a toe heal without a splint? Stories I've found often end in amputation which would be horrible. I'm just hoping it will heal. Maybe I'm being idealistic! :( Of course, we are going out of town next week and he will be with my parents for 2 weeks...

·
Registered
48 Posts
Outer toes are non-weight bearing so you technically do not need a splint. May just take a little longer to heal. If it was one of the middle toes, you'd need a splint.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts