Dog Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My mini poodle is a little over 5 months old. Two weeks ago he was playing with a doberman who fell on him which resulted in all 4 bones in his back paw breaking. The vet put a splint on him and told us it would need to be on about 3 weeks with weekly check ups. The first week, the vet was very impressed and said he might take the splint off next week but he didn't want to rush it. So on the second weekly check up, I saw a different vet in the practice. He felt my dog's leg and said that he was healed and the splint could come off. He also said that my dog might not walk on it at first and that we need to be careful with him.

It has now been 3 days since the splint came off and my dog is using the paw at times but is also still limping and not putting full pressure on his paw. He is however getting burst of energy where he'll run all over the place and randomly jump up on the couch.

Now for the questions: I'm just wondering if anyone thinks that the vet should have done an x-ray before he took the splint off? Can the doctor really feel if those tiny bones healed properly? Could my puppy's paw bones have healed in 2 weeks? Also, how long do you think until he can use his paw like he did before he broke it? When should I start worrying about nerve damage or improper healing?

Thanks all :)

·
Registered
13,313 Posts
The vet may be trying to save you the expense of an x-ray. Did he take an x-ray of the original injury?

I used to work for an orthopaedic surgeon. I think it is accurate to say, that the vet I worked for, would be very pleased to see a pup in your situation putting some weight on the limb already. Still limping would be expected. So long as there is steady progress, then you are on the right track. Do be careful though, as pup could easily re-injure it while it is in the half healed state. Good luck!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The vet did take an x-ray of the original injury. My vet was out sick for 6 weeks so the vet that looked at Pierre intially was a fill in. Prices were higher when Pierre had to see him so I wouldn't be suprised if you're right, that my vet is just trying to save me some cash. In which case, I should be happy!

Thank you so much for your insight, Tess. I've been scouring the internet for advice on once a splint comes off so its very refreshing to hear that we're on the right track. Thanks again!!

·
Registered
13,313 Posts
You are welcome. Be careful with that furniture jumping though! (its good its a back leg in this regard, but still can be a hazard) And be careful with play with other dogs. Might even want to prevent your pup playing with other dogs until he is truly sound.
Hope he continues to heal. :)

·
Registered
13,313 Posts
Just one more comment, in regards to your question of healing time. There are a couple of stages of healing. First comes the soft tissue... all the protein structures that hold the bone ends in place, and make sort of a lattice work for the new bone to fill in. Then comes the calcification stage, where the minerals actually fill in. X-rays won't show much on that first stage, so even if the vet took an x-ray, it might still look alarmingly broken for a while, even though there is some healing taking place, if you know what I mean. It would not be a bad idea, if you can afford it, to take an x-ray at some point just to reassure yourself the bone is forming. With these little dogs, it actually helps to stimulate bone growth for there to be some weight bearing, as the pup is doing. Overall healing times can vary from a few weeks to even a few months, depending on the dog's age, health, and how much he is using the limb.

Again, I would be quite optimistic from your description at this point, but its still important to keep pup from over-doing things too soon, as the healing that has take place to this point is probably not full strength bone, (or he would not be limping) however the pain may be diminishing, and therefore pup could hurt himself in a moment of enthusiasm.

OK, hope that helps!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I can't tell you enough, thank you! You have really reassured me and educated me more than I could ever imagine from posting on a dog forum. I'll keep everything you've said in mind. Thank you!!

·
Registered
13,313 Posts
Glad to be of use. If that 3 years I spent doing things like carrying 80 pound, anaesthetized dogs from the radiology room, upstairs to the the Operating Room, (as fast as I could before they woke up!) can be put to good use in some way, I am satisfied. :) Sure was hard on my back! LOL!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi ! Glad to see this post, reassuring me about my little 3-month old MinPin puppy... who got stepped on by my big, clumsy Doberman. Darn those Dobies ! LoL the Vet I saw was a real snarky idiot who insisted I get pins put in to minimize the chance of infection. Yeah, pins sticking thru the skin and into the bone marrow - I've seen what that can do to people. How's Pierre doing ?

·
Registered
12,236 Posts
Teddy, If you are not happy with your vet, please find a new one that you can trust to give you good advise. By not trusting him, you could be resisting getting your dog actually good treatment from him. Fwiw.... If my vet recommended pins, I would do it (and we have done it) in a heartbeat because we know he has the qualifications and experience to do what is needed.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
13,313 Posts
Pins are sometimes needed. Your vet may be giving you good advice. I'd seek another opinion. Every dog/break is unique and needs treatment specific for the case.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.