Dog Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! My dog broke part of her nail Wednesday, close to the base and her quick is exposed. Took her to the vet on Thursday and they decided to not take off the rest of the nail because it's still very much attached. She told me to keep it wrapped with some antibiotic cream on it. She didn't really tell me clearly what to expect for healing. What should it look like as it heals? Does it scab up? How long should I really keep it wrapped for? How long will it take to heal? I change her bandage daily and there is always a pretty small amount of blood on it still. Just looking for some help!! The vet is closed today and even if I called for advice they wouldn't give me any and would make me bring her back in. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
@Jmkroeger My dog broke a nail to the quick, the vet removed the whole nail and cauterised the wound to avoid infection. There was no open wound after we removed the bandage 2 days later and the only care we gave was keeping her off hard surfaces to allow normal nail regrowth.

I would call and ask the vet about the blood and if you still feel the advice is iffy I would seek a second vet opinion.

·
Registered
420 Posts
After a couple of hours, as long as you are doing what you vet said, it should not bleed. If it is still bleeding, your dog needs to go back to the vet. It will heal much as a broken nail does on a human. Maybe a slight bit of bruising on the toe but, other than that, just tender until it grows out enough to protect the quick again.

Follow your vet's advice and, if you are in doubt, call and/or go back to the vet.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts