Dog Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our dog broke her leg on Wednesday so we took her to the vet immediately. It was an open fracture because the bone came through the skin and she was bleeding although we couldn’t see the bone through the skin any longer. It is now Friday morning and the vet has not done surgery yet because he keeps getting “emergency cases” in. Isn’t this dangerous to the health and well being of my dog?? They haven’t even started her on antibiotics, just giving her pain medications. We are in a rural town so not much choice in vets but I’m I’m extremely worried and frustrated.

·
Registered
2,162 Posts
It does seem, with the broken skin, she should at least be on antibiotics to prevent infection, but then I am not a Vet. Though there may be no other Vets available in your town, you could call another Vet, or if available a veterinarian school for advice. Did they at least wrap her leg and pack the dressing with topical antibiotics? You really need an opinion from a professional, I am just guessing here.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They finally just did her surgery midnight CT. Pretty frustrating experience but they said she did fine. In answer to your question, no, the leg was not wrapped nor was she an any antibiotics. When we stopped to check on her, they had her in a kennel in the back and when we asked about the laceration, they acted like they didn’t know what we were talking about and like they weren’t aware of the laceration 🙄🙄. Last time here, I can tell you that much unless it’s an extreme emergency, I will be driving an hour to the vet.

·
Registered
2,162 Posts
Lets hope her recovery is quick and complete. Its very stressful when our fur babies are hurt or sick. Believe me, I know!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts