Dog Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My parents got a Goldendoodle this past December but, due to my Mom's extensive health issues, they weren't able to take care of him the way he deserved. My husband and I happily adopted him into our home this past weekend and he's been adjusting really well and settling in nicely. After having him in their home for a month, my parents obviously miss him and would like us to visit with them in their home from time to time. We're wondering how long we should wait until we can bring him there for a visit. We don't want to confuse him, so does anyone know if there's a certain amount of time we should wait until bringing him back into the first home he was in after the breeder's? He was with them just over a month and has been with us for a week this Saturday. Should we wait a month? A year? Does it not make a difference? Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

·
Registered
2,900 Posts
I doubt it will make any difference - it's just another stop in the puppy stage of taking them all kinds of random places to socialize :)

The current dog I have living with me lived in my parents' home for the first 6.5 years of her life before moving out - I was afraid she'd be depressed leaving, and that she'd have a tough time coming back and forth. Turns out, she loves BOTH homes and is just as eager to go to either. :D

·
Banned
1,885 Posts
Sure! - why not?

is he housetrained yet? - U don't mention his age, so I don't know if he arrived at the parents' home as a young pup under 3-MO, as a pubertal teen, or as a young adult.

if he's not yet housetrained, & is at or under 3-MO, he needs to be scheduled at home & when visiting - at least every 2-hours, PLUS after every trigger, he goes out to potty. :)

triggers include:
- visitors or other excitement
- waking from a nap
- after a meal, or a large drink of H2O
- after active play

Here are some wonderful resources - teaching a soft mouth, socializing / habituating, housetraining, early learning, etc -
https://www.dogstardaily.com/free-downloads

Both BOOKS are free to download. :)
- terry

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thank you both so much for the help and feedback! He is fairly house-trained and just turned 3 months this week. I'll definitely look into that website bc he does have episodes of nipping/biting growling but usually only when he gets excited or bouts of energy before bed time.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts