Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello everyone!

I wasn't sure in which area of the forum to post this, so forgive me if it's out of place.
We will be moving to our new home next month. We are extremely excited especially because we will have a fenced yard for our dog to run around in. It's not a large yard, it's an L shape, covered with grass and plants along the fence.
The first floor is porcelain tile (no more carpets, yessss!!!) and the top floor is laminated.
Now, my questions are:
Does anyone have an experience of bringing their dogs to the new home? Can you give me some tips in how to help him adapt easier? I want him to start going to the bathroom in the backyard right away, what is the best way to introduce him to that?
Also, I'm a little concerned about the floors, because they are much more slippery obviously than the carpets. Also, our new home will have stairs. My dog knows how to go up and down the stairs, but I'm worried that between tile floors and stairs, he may hurt himself.

Basically any input is appreciated.
Thank you so much!

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
I'm moving in about a month as well and have been pondering the question you have about the potty routine. I'm moving in to an apartment where I will easily be able to take Merlin to the place the apartment provides specificially for dogs to eliminate. Right now I live on the sixth floor of my apartment and so I have a potty patch set up on my balcony.
I think go back to potty training 101 and reinforce use.of the backyard. Also teach him how to signal he needs to go out right away (if he doesn't already do that). If he does have a signal, then it's up to you to teach him where to signal now. Really I think reinforcing using the backyard is probably the best way to get the point across that that's his new bathroom.
As for your other questions, I'm curious to hear what others' answers are, since I'm not sure myself.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm moving in about a month as well and have been pondering the question you have about the potty routine. I'm moving in to an apartment where I will easily be able to take Merlin to the place the apartment provides specificially for dogs to eliminate. Right now I live on the sixth floor of my apartment and so I have a potty patch set up on my balcony.
I think go back to potty training 101 and reinforce use.of the backyard. Also teach him how to signal he needs to go out right away (if he doesn't already do that). If he does have a signal, then it's up to you to teach him where to signal now. Really I think reinforcing using the backyard is probably the best way to get the point across that that's his new bathroom.
As for your other questions, I'm curious to hear what others' answers are, since I'm not sure myself.
Thank you. I was thinking along the same lines...starting from scratch. He is on a pretty stable schedule (4 times a day), I think I will try to continue with the same schedule and taking him out on a backyard approximately at the same time every day to eliminate.

Also, there is something else I am worried about that I failed to mention in my original post and I think it's a big one and a bit embarrassing. When he goes to the bathroom, he digs the grass with his back feet to sort of "cover it up". I wasn't able to teach him not to do it yet and I don't want him to destroy our grass in the yard.
Any tips?

·
Registered
5,919 Posts
I have moved quite a few times in the last 30 years and always moved dogs with us. The things that make it easier are being able to visit the back yard before the move. The last house we took the dogs for a month before we moved in so when we moved that already were familiar with it. As far as the inside I have found that you do not take them before your furniture is moved in. The will pee freely in an empty house that smells like other people. Fill it full of familiar smells and the pup is less likely to go. Just make sure to keep to a schedule. Moving is stressful for everyone so get some great treats and chews to keep on hand for the move.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have moved quite a few times in the last 30 years and always moved dogs with us. The things that make it easier are being able to visit the back yard before the move. The last house we took the dogs for a month before we moved in so when we moved that already were familiar with it. As far as the inside I have found that you do not take them before your furniture is moved in. The will pee freely in an empty house that smells like other people. Fill it full of familiar smells and the pup is less likely to go. Just make sure to keep to a schedule. Moving is stressful for everyone so get some great treats and chews to keep on hand for the move.
This is a very valuable advice, thank you.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.