Dog Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it ok to bring home a new puppy even if they aren't spending first few nights in my home? We will be out of town about 3 hours away and were planning on taking the new puppy with us but I don't want training or routines to be set back because of this. Does anyone have advise or experience with this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
8,034 Posts
Are you getting the pup from a breeder? Rescue? If so, can they hold onto him/her for a few extra days? If the pup won't be in your home, where would (s)he be?

Honestly, 3 days with a trusted relative is no big deal but if it were my pup, I'd opt to just leave the pup at the breeder or rescue because I'm a worry wart haha. I know these people are set up for the pup, the pup is comfortable there and they know how to handle him/her.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
From a breeder. I'm sure they could hold onto them for an extra day or two but we are headed upnorth to a cottage where there is plenty of space to room and is already pet friendly. We prefer to bring them if there isn't harm in doing this.

·
Premium Member
8,034 Posts
Oh I misunderstood. I thought you wanted to leave the pup somewhere. How old are they? I definitely think the pup(s) will be fine on vacation :) just remember that if you leave to go to something, they have tiny bladders :)

You said "they". Are you getting more than one? If so, please look into littermate syndrome. I'd post a link but I'm on my phone. If no one chimes in, I can explain more tomorrow.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ohhh it would be a matter of bringing the puppy (just one) along or seeing if we can pick puppy up a few days later. Yes we are expecting to be up quite a lot with our new addition .

·
Premium Member
8,034 Posts
I agree - that's why I asked the age. If it's an 8 week old, just left the litter puppy, lack of vaccinations could be an issue. If it's a 6 month old, didn't fit the breeders program so they want to find it a home puppy, you're in good shape.

Also, is this cottage yours or are you renting it? If it's yours, do you allow other people with dogs to use it? If it's yours and no other dogs have been there, the risk is less.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes it would be an 8 week old puppy. We have set up a vet visit for the day before we leave to get updated shots. Also, we are told the breeder would have puppy all set with first round of shots before we pick them up. It is ours and other dogs have been there before.

·
Premium Member
8,034 Posts
The puppy can't be fully vaccinated at 8 weeks. For example, rabies is around week 12+. To be sure the puppy stays safe, I would probably just opt to leave it at the breeder for a few extra days. You could take it and everything could be totally fine but it may not. Personally, I would be nervous taking the risk.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ahh I didn't know that. Thanks for the advice! It is a golden and haven't chosen a name yet.

·
Premium Member
8,034 Posts
I'm sorry. I know it's not what you wanted to hear. When I was waiting for my girl to arrive, every second felt like eternity! Haha. I love Goldens!! I actually wanted a golden pup before I found my pup.

ETA: If you do a quick Google search on puppy vaccines, you can see a rough timeline of when they get all of their shots. Your vet may be able to provide something as well. Each vet may differ a little but typically shots like rabies are governed by state laws.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts