Dog Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

So due to a family emergency I may be watching a dog for a few days. My dog loves other dogs, but it’s still an invasion of her space so I’m wondering what the best tactic for introducing the new dog in is.

Should I allow them to meet on the front lawn and assess their reactions or something? (My dog doesn’t even know we have a front lawn I don’t believe lol)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
1,643 Posts
Do they already know each other?

The recommendations are to introduce them on neutral ground, so our on a walk would be good.

Also, be very tuned in to potential flashpoints for conflict. Feed them separately, lift toys when they aren't being supervised, and depending on their personalities you might need to watch them in case they compete for beds or even a sunny spot on the floor.

These may, of course, turn out to be unnecessary precautions but better safe than sorry.

·
Registered
523 Posts
When we have introduced other /new dogs weve always dont it on neutral ground.
With George we met my husband and our other dog Murphy near the park. Murphy was so pleased to see me at first he didnt even notice George then my husband took George so I could fuss Murphy then we swapped leads again and gave them a good walk just to get them used to being near each other but without any tension.

At home I had arranged new bowls for Gepoge so that Murphy didnt have to share, new beds and all toys were taken away until they were happy and relaxed with each other ..

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Do they already know each other?

The recommendations are to introduce them on neutral ground, so our on a walk would be good.

Also, be very tuned in to potential flashpoints for conflict. Feed them separately, lift toys when they aren't being supervised, and depending on their personalities you might need to watch them in case they compete for beds or even a sunny spot on the floor.

These may, of course, turn out to be unnecessary precautions but better safe than sorry.
They don’t, no.

I’ll try doing that! Thank you.

Thankfully this boy sleeps in his crate, so I may be able to use it for feeding and such so that they aren’t competing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
I agree with the other commenters - introduce them on neutral ground and assess how they react to each other. Let them play together for a while so they get used to each other and slowly take it from there :)
The last thing you want is for your dog to get jealous or become territorial - giving your dog equal attention will help avoid this!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts