Dog Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Premium Member
9,179 Posts
Sounds like you have a lot of big changes in your life coming up. Have you thought about how the change in majors is going to affect your free time? Outside of classes, from what I have witnessed in the equestrian world (I work 30 minutes from Wellington, which is gearing up for one of the biggest competitions in show jumping in the US) on top of schooling, you also have to work your way up. It's not a career that you get all of your respect from having a degree. You also have to make a name for yourself. So that usually means working as a groom or exercise rider, then moving your way up. If you are planning on doing something like this, it is going to require you to be away from home for long hours. Just all things to consider.

Honestly, I would take Evie and try it out. Don't get too excited about getting a second dog just yet. Work and train with one, and see how it goes. Also, for reference, Bostons are good starting dogs for both Rally and Agility. I am STRONGLY against someone who has never been in the sport starting with a Border/ GS and Aussie. They are intense dogs and don't tend to do well with green handlers. And as far as the weather, sweaters and cooling coats.

Reactions: TruckersMom

· Premium Member
9,179 Posts
It's do able (I did it, not well, but I did it). But you have to be realistic to what is the best interest for your dog. I really recommend that, with taking Evie, you don't look for a second dog. 1 dog will take up a lot of your time as is. Honestly, if she's really wanting interaction with another dog, then find friends that also have other dogs, go to dog parks, get involved in a training club where she can be around other dogs, but really dogs do adjust to being only dogs really quick when they are getting all of the attention.

Also be careful about saying it's ok to let your grades slack for care of the dog. At this point, your grades should be #1. Remember what your goal is for being there.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.