Dog Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all. Will be a new dog owner very soon :). I’ll be semi retired living in Spain near Cadiz with my Spanish wife. We’re 60 ish and active. We have dogs in the family and have had dogs a long time ago but working life has prevented our own dog in our lives up to now.

We’ve identified a possible amigo in a rescue home but clearly right dog – right place is important so would appreciate any thoughts from you dog gurus here.

Here’s the chappie: Aire | Spanish Stray Dogs UK Aire

Clearly a Breton is a hunting dog but Aire is a cross and also at least 5 years old (some in not a good place :(). Is he likely to not behave like a true Breton?

Is a cataract, if that's what he has, operable? And if so should it be done asap?

My step-daughter's dog is a 1+ year old golden retriever who may stay with us for a month or two. Is it important Aire gets into his new home first on his own as it will be his permanent home?

Any thoughts very much appreciated.

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
He looks very close to a purebred Brittany (Breton), whether or not he is. Maybe some hound or spaniel in there though?

To me he looks older than 5-6 years old- more like 8-9 at least. If he's been poorly cared for that might account for some premature aging, but he looks like a senior dog to me. I'm no expert though.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Expert or not revolutionrocknroll your contribution is very much appreciated :thumbsup:

Obviously the rescue org can only guess his age but hopefully don't deliberately underestimate ;). But now you mention it I see where you are coming from and it did strike me odd they considered 5 or 6 making him a "Poor old boy".

But as you say he may have been through hell and back again. But to be honest even if he is a right old age that wouldn't change our decision :)

On breed he looks the part from photos and vids I've seen but if you're no expert RRR I'm a total novice as all our dogs were 57s :D

ps: haven't been to Vermont for 25 years but can imagine trekking with Aire through those beautiful coloured woods at this time of year :cool:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Is a cataract, if that's what he has, operable? And if so should it be done asap?
Just to say received info on this and he needs to see a veterinary ophthalmologist to determine if it is a cataract and then if it is what type and if it would be beneficial to operate. I've been warned the cost could be 2000 - 3000 Euros for an operation.

Any thoughts on introducing him to his new home with or without a visiting golden retriever would be much appreciated. [My wife thinks I'm being rather pushy posting so soon, sorry if I am but finding a doggie friend is all rather exciting and the thought of him still being in clink is pushing things on fast].

And finally I will go and see him soon. Are there any ways I might assess his age beyond cutting one of his legs off and counting the rings? :ponder:

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
Oh, he's adorable! :)

I think the Golden Retriever would be fine for him to meet, just do so while out on a walk or in "neutral" territory before bringing both back to the house. Even if the Golden is going to leave soon, I'd treat the situation as though you were introducing a rescue to a home that already had a dog. Keep it all positive and don't push if the new dog seems nervous or unsure. But I'm sure all will be well :)

Age can be hard to estimate. I think his face is what makes him look a bit older; he appears to be going gray. Of course, I suppose poor care and stress could have done that to him as well. A vet may be able to give you a closer estimate.

Regardless, he looks like a happy boy and I'm sure he'll have a long and happy life with you!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Poppy many thanks for that. Yes I can see the logic of an outside meet and will for sure arrange that.

I think I'll try and get Aire in his new home first if I can. Axel, the golden retriever, is an energetic fellow so don't want Aire to be undermined. That said I think Aire has been awhile in the pound so will be used to other dogs and maybe fighting his own corner.

I think I'll just forget his age. As you say he is an adorable fellow so who cares. And at some point no doubt a vet will mention it.

Don't want him to be behind bars for any longer than necessary but in truth I rather hope he is still available in November :cool:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts