Dog Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I asked a trainer friend of mine for a recommendation on a resource to learn dog body language and she recommended I get the book by Brenda Aloff. I saw it's also recommended reading by CPDT.

https://www.amazon.com/Canine-Body-...=1471055844&sr=1-1&keywords=dog+body+language

When I looked on Amazon for it, I also saw this book.

https://www.amazon.com/Canine-Behav...1471055844&sr=1-10&keywords=dog+body+language

Just wondering if anyone here has experiences with these books who could maybe talk about the differences in content, quality of information, or recommend one over the other.

Thank you!

·
Registered
669 Posts
@Gnostic Dog - do you know why your mentor recommends that book over the other?
(the below is unrelated)

I have the Handleman book. I hadn't looked at it in awhile and haven't gotten a chance to look through it completely, so I flipped through it before I posted. I'm not familiar with the other book, although looking back in my "want to buy" google doc I have for dog books it's on there, so I must have read good things about it somewhere. Looking at the reviews, there seem to be a handful complaining of unprofessional writing and pictures.

Personally, I cannot recommend the Handleman book enough. IMO, it should have a place in any professional-hopeful's library, which I know from your other posts you are. I absolutely love it.

Professional writing, very scientific (which the former biology major in me loves) but clearly written and a good introduction into those kinds of terms, and very well laid out. The photographs are in black and white, but are good quality and large enough that you can really see the details of them. It uses a variety of canines in its pictures- Aussies, Collies, a Border Collie, a GSD, mixes of those, as well as a few different LGD mixes, an Airedale, a few bulldogs make an appearance, and two sighthounds, plus a handful of wolves, a few coyotes, and a few foxes- and so gives you a good idea of different breed postures and the way they translate to calming signals, as well as the way wolves emote vs dogs and even a background in the other two groups (coys and foxes). For many of the behaviors it includes the ancestral use in wolves (for example play bows, wolves use that to "test" a prey animal to try to provoke it to run/test its vulnerability and start the hunt).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts