Dog Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Soon I will be buy a puppy. I wish to buy it from a CKC breeder. But recently knew that they sell you their puppies spayed. (To force you not to reproduce it and increase the dogs population).

I think that this is something i will never accept. In my opinion, I should always have the right to own an animal / pet that is not spayed or altered in any way by a human. I feel as if its a monopoly business for those breeders.
Also, for me it was strange to know that if you wish to have a dog that is registered by CKC and carries all the CKC’s breed standards of a particular breed, this dog will still be spayed. Unless I am an official breeder.

My options are to buy it from a non-CKC official breeder and skip signing the agreements related to spaying a puppy.

-Is their anyone who shares wIth me my opinion?
-Anyone knows good Labrador breeders that won’t force me to spay my puppy and in same time their puppies have high standards as CKC?

·
Super Moderator
437 Posts
Can't help with your search but here in the UK there is mixed opinion on the optimal age for neutering. Generally, allowing a dog to reach skeletal maturity is recommended. With boys in particular, I personally think it's important to at least let them develop their brave testosterone before neutering.

·
Registered
177 Posts
This enforced de-sexing is being done with the best intentions, but you know what they say about the road to hell....its paved with good intentions..

Most research I've read says early de-sexing of dogs and cats can cause problems later.

Its a choice you have to make but for me health comes first.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This enforced de-sexing is being done with the best intentions, but you know what they say about the road to hell....its paved with good intentions..

Most research I've read says early de-sexing of dogs and cats can cause problems later.

Its a choice you have to make but for me health comes first.
lol, thanks for your comment! Its absolutely true!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Can't help with your search but here in the UK there is mixed opinion on the optimal age for neutering. Generally, allowing a dog to reach skeletal maturity is recommended. With boys in particular, I personally think it's important to at least let them develop their brave testosterone before neutering.
I agree with you, i always feel its an unnatural thing to do in an animal!

·
Registered
112 Posts
I can see a lot of good reasons why a breeder might want to do this:

They may be concerned about the welfare of the dog and any puppies the dog might have - there are far too many puppies being born, and many of these are bady raised either because the owner doesn't know how to do this, or they just want to sell the pups and make a quick buck.

If there are several unneutered pups from a litter that get sold locally, they could be inadvertently mated with a close relative, or a poor example of the breed, and sold on as a pedigree, which may reflect back on the original breeder/seller.

The pups will be too young to have their health fully explored, e.g. for dodgy hips. THe breeder can't be sure that the new owner will get the dog hip scored, etc., before breeding, and breeding from dogs with poor conformation is a disaster both for the individual dogs and the breed as a whole.

Only selling neutered pups means that the breeder knows the buyer isn't just interested in repeatedly breeding from the dog to make money - or that this fate will befall the next generation of pups. They want to know that the new owner wants the dog for itself, as a companion. And even if they can be sure of that, accidents still happen.

Of course, this has to be set against the risks of neutering at such an early age - or neutering at any age, come to that.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I can see a lot of good reasons why a breeder might want to do this:

They may be concerned about the welfare of the dog and any puppies the dog might have - there are far too many puppies being born, and many of these are bady raised either because the owner doesn't know how to do this, or they just want to sell the pups and make a quick buck.

If there are several unneutered pups from a litter that get sold locally, they could be inadvertently mated with a close relative, or a poor example of the breed, and sold on as a pedigree, which may reflect back on the original breeder/seller.

The pups will be too young to have their health fully explored, e.g. for dodgy hips. THe breeder can't be sure that the new owner will get the dog hip scored, etc., before breeding, and breeding from dogs with poor conformation is a disaster both for the individual dogs and the breed as a whole.

Only selling neutered pups means that the breeder knows the buyer isn't just interested in repeatedly breeding from the dog to make money - or that this fate will befall the next generation of pups. They want to know that the new owner wants the dog for itself, as a companion. And even if they can be sure of that, accidents still happen.

Of course, this has to be set against the risks of neutering at such an early age - or neutering at any age, come to that.
when you say the breeder neuter pups because of a breed’s welfare! Honestly thats sounds unauthentic with all do respect to you! Of course they don’t do this because of its welfare, they do this to keep on gaining money against selling expensive pedigree pups!! If their sole intension is all about saving the breed’s standards!! Then just by having a family of dogs of the same breed (2 females, 1 or 2 males and lots of pups) this will save it even if some of these pups will be sold out with out spaying it to lets say novice owners. Right ?!! Make sense??
i know much more endangered species of animals that due to zoos and animal shelters endeavours, these animals r thriving and never faced any problems (without spaying it, or damaging / altering its natural creation).

BUT, because selling their pups without spaying it will cause a decrease in the demand of their “pedigree pups”, they invented the myth of saving breeds standards.
I would accept such claim in a fairy tale story or a utopia.

I will always stand against such monopoly industry! Not logic to snatch people’s right (non breeders) to own and enjoy a dog that could practice its natural legitimate right of reproduction.
If seriously breeders are keen for welfare, they could undoubtedly find out several other causes, was it animal related or human! And then they will be admired and much more respected.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts