Dog Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a puppy from LakewoodRanchGondeldoodles, Ontario, on 30th Aug 2020. Being a first time dog owner, I obviously had lots of questions. On 6th Sept 2020, I asked the breeder whether growling is normal behavior for puppies and she responded back saying No, it is not - and she also asked me to drop the puppy at her kennel for a 1 week training.

Within 5 hours, after dropping the puppy, she sent me an email stating she is not giving me the puppy back as she thinks we are not prepared to adopt a puppy and she would refund my payment.

At this point, I am clueless as Police told me that this is not a criminal offence and I have to go to the court. And it would take me months before I could regain the possession.

Any help/suggestions please...

·
Super Moderator
2,507 Posts
I've just had a look at their website. This is going to sound harsh, I'd take your money and run.

This is a puppy mill, albeit with a fancy website.

I couldn't see anything about health testing the parents (which good breeders will do) and did find some nonsense including reference to hybrids (a hybrid is a cross between a dog and a different species, not between two dogs), the proud statement ”we do NOT breed any related animals (erm - they feel the need to even SAY that?) and they don't use miniature poodles because of their temperament (fine not to use a female due to the size but mini poodles have awesome personalities).

What is it that attracts you to a golden doodle?

It used to be believed that crossbreeds had the best of both breeds and health problems were 'bred out' but in fact you could well get a puppy who has inherited health defects from both parents. So crossing, for example, a retriever with a poodle, you could get a puppy who has, for example, elbow problems from the retriever side and hip problems from the poodle side. Both sides could have eye problems. These could cause long term pain and distress to the dog and the owner to incur on going expensive vet bills. Marilyn Munro allegedly once suggested to Albert Einstein that if they had babies they would be amazing with her beauty and his brains. Einstein allegedly replied how awful it would be if it were the other way round. You get the picture!

There are some responsible breeders of crossbreeds and that is a good thing. But they are very few and you may have to search extensively to find one.

Have you considered a poodle? They can be sourced with far less risk. If it is the look of the traditional poodle that puts you off, they can be left in a shaggy clip that has the look of the popular crossbreeds.

You might also find these pages helpful to avoid puppy farms.

·
Registered
798 Posts
I agree.. Grab that money with both hands and count yourself lucky.

They are fancy the facilities they show look nice and clean but its nothing more than a dog factory.
They are in this for the $$ not the dogs and thats always a big red flag...

·
Super Moderator
218 Posts
Hi.

I think you've had a very lucky escape. There's a lot of claptrap on that site which proves the owners don't know what they're talking about. The pics in the gallery are small and collaged together, presumably to avoid close scrutiny. No info at all about their dogs - no names, bio, no information on health tests. No ethical breeder would ever need employees, because they should be breeding and raising their litter in their own homes.

And then the classic - "we deliver - $1 per mile."

You've been delivered from a world of heartache, financial burden and worry. Grab that refund and run. We can help you locate a healthy, ethically bred puppy who's more likely to be a joy than a worry. :)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've just had a look at their website. This is going to sound harsh, I'd take your money and run.

This is a puppy mill, albeit with a fancy website.

I couldn't see anything about health testing the parents (which good breeders will do) and did find some nonsense including reference to hybrids (a hybrid is a cross between a dog and a different species, not between two dogs), the proud statement ”we do NOT breed any related animals (erm - they feel the need to even SAY that?) and they don't use miniature poodles because of their temperament (fine not to use a female due to the size but mini poodles have awesome personalities).

What is it that attracts you to a golden doodle?

It used to be believed that crossbreeds had the best of both breeds and health problems were 'bred out' but in fact you could well get a puppy who has inherited health defects from both parents. So crossing, for example, a retriever with a poodle, you could get a puppy who has, for example, elbow problems from the retriever side and hip problems from the poodle side. Both sides could have eye problems. These could cause long term pain and distress to the dog and the owner to incur on going expensive vet bills. Marilyn Munro allegedly once suggested to Albert Einstein that if they had babies they would be amazing with her beauty and his brains. Einstein allegedly replied how awful it would be if it were the other way round. You get the picture!

There are some responsible breeders of crossbreeds and that is a good thing. But they are very few and you may have to search extensively to find one.

Have you considered a poodle? They can be sourced with far less risk. If it is the look of the traditional poodle that puts you off, they can be left in a shaggy clip that has the look of the popular crossbreeds.

You might also find these pages helpful to avoid puppy farms.

Thank you for your response. At this point I also feel the same. I will definitely try for other breeders, but it will be difficult to fill in the gap we now have with you 1 week's togetherness with the puppy.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I agree.. Grab that money with both hands and count yourself lucky.

They are fancy the facilities they show look nice and clean but its nothing more than a dog factory.
They are in this for the $$ not the dogs and thats always a big red flag...
Thank you for your response. At this point I also feel the same. I tried to find if there is a way to teach them a lesson, but it seems other than posting online reviews, I have no choice. At least, not in Canada.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi.

I think you've had a very lucky escape. There's a lot of claptrap on that site which proves the owners don't know what they're talking about. The pics in the gallery are small and collaged together, presumably to avoid close scrutiny. No info at all about their dogs - no names, bio, no information on health tests. No ethical breeder would ever need employees, because they should be breeding and raising their litter in their own homes.

And then the classic - "we deliver - $1 per mile."

You've been delivered from a world of heartache, financial burden and worry. Grab that refund and run. We can help you locate a healthy, ethically bred puppy who's more likely to be a joy than a worry. :)
Thanks a lot. I am trying to find if there is a way to teach them a lesson, but it seems other than posting online reviews, I have no choice. At least, not in Canada.

·
Super Moderator
2,507 Posts
Would you consider a poodle? You would find a good breeder far more easily and like I said they can be left looking shaggy like a doodle.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
At this point, I am trying to see what legal actions can I take against this breeder. But if you know a good breeder of poodle, please forward me the URL/name.

·
Super Moderator
2,507 Posts
I'm afraid I'm not in Canada but if you find a breeder and would like one of us to have a look at their web page, please shout out.

·
Registered
798 Posts
Bear in mind a good breeder will often want you to jump through a few hoops make an application provide information possibly even do a home check. Someone who has dogs ready off the shelf like a supermarket is just that, a supermarket for dogs not a quality breeder.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I went with my friend to chose his shepherd puppy and we pick it up in a few weeks. Ive never bred dogs and i hope this isnt common practice in that the parent dogs had a litter at the beginning of the yr and is breeding after this litter for another lot of puppies to be ready at the end of the yr. The dog is only 2. I personaly 100% disagree with doing that. I wouldnt even let my rabbits breed that close together.
As for the oodle breeder its your dog you paid for. Thats stealing. I strongly suspect someone has seen the puppy and offered extra money
I told the local police exactly the same - technically it is stealing. But it seems that in Canada, this is considered legal act from breeders :-(

·
Registered
638 Posts
Thats realy disturbing that can happen! That would turn alot of people from buying from a breeder who has your details. In canada are dogs legaly seen as just property?

·
Registered
638 Posts
I just had a look and pets are seen as property in canada aswell as here and alot of other countries. Once you bought the puppy its become your property like a tv ect. (I dont like that term but just stating the legal standpoint). To me that would make the police wrong and it would be theft. Maybe try a different police officer

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I just had a look and pets are seen as property in canada aswell as here and alot of other countries. Once you bought the puppy its become your property like a tv ect. (I dont like that term but just stating the legal standpoint). To me that would make the police wrong and it would be theft. Maybe try a different police officer
I tried 2 different locations of police. First from my area and the second from the area of the breeder - both of them told me the same thing.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Its your dog you paid for. Thats stealing. I strongly suspect someone has seen the puppy and offered extra money
I agree with you, I am glad someone else said it. They are obviously a puppy mil and I do not see them caring about if someone is or is not ready to care for a pup. Also I would be asking when and how to expect my refund as she already has the puppy

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Just because the police said that dosnt mean there correct.
Have you got refund back yet?
Yes, the breeder refunded the amount I
Paid. But other than that I purchased lots of other things, which are now useless. And on top of that, the emotional distress my family is going through... specially my daughter who is crying every now and then.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts