Dog Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello...I have been waiting to pick up my puppy for past 3 months. There were two puppies to choose from and we picked one based on the photos and videos.

And the breeder contacted me just 1 week before the pick up date, and told us she changed her mind, and she decided to keep our puppy herself and that we will be picking up a different puppy in the litter.

I am just so disappointed...the word disappointed is not even close to how Im feeling...

I told the breeder that this is just too hard to accept..but the breeder was really firm on her decision and she basically told me either we take the other one, or nothing at all. She says she mainly breeds dogs for her own joy and keeping one right for her is the priority.....

We had worked with a different breeder 1 year ago, and the same thing happened and we decided not to adopt because of this lack of trust and communication...and Im just really disappointed and sad this happened again...and at the last moment...

Honestly....this whole adoption process is wearing me down ... and I'm just so tired and sick of it....so tired to a point where I just want to give up getting a puppy......I don't know if I will like the other puppy knowing that she is not the one I chose....my husband thinks maybe this is also destiny...

It will be 8 hour drive to go see the puppy....
Does this happen a lot..? Should I just not get a puppy from this breeder..? Im just so tired of being disappointed and let down by these breeders who constantly change their decision....

·
Registered
522 Posts
Most responsible breeders don't even let you pick your puppy, they pick it for you depending on the pup's temperament and your goals. That being said... doing what she did without warning is not a nice thing to do.

You mention that she's a hobby breeder though - does she do health testing on the dogs? If not, you're dodging a bullet, honestly.

·
Super Moderator
3,576 Posts
So sorry to read of your disappointment.

What breed of dog are you purchasing? Are you looking for a pet or will your new dog serve a more specialized purpose?

Is there really a significant difference between the puppies? It's really easy to fall in love with a photo, but you might be just as happy with the other pup when you meet it.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Did you give her any money to hold the puppy for you? Do you have text messages stating what you've told us? If you have proof about being told you can get this particular puppy and you put money down, then you have grounds to hold her to that. Check into it.

·
Registered
400 Posts
my husband thinks maybe this is also destiny...
I'm not superstitious most of the time but I'm a bit of a closet Buddhist and I honestly believe that everything in this life happens for a reason.

Within every emotion we feel lays an opportunity for practicing the art of letting things go, observation without judgement and for practicing compassion.

Sometimes it's not easy and sometimes it's not even possible, at least for me. I am, after all, not the Dalai Lama and my day job often resembles an MMA fight on a chess board more than meditation, which is why I got into this to start with, but I digress... Whether we take the opportunity or not is on us, but the opportunity is there nonetheless.

You may not have gotten what you want today, but it could very well have opened the door to something more rewarding down the line. Who really knows if it works like this, but I choose to believe it and put it into practice when I can.

I'll give you an example. In the middle of the last recession I was depressed, working at a job I liked less and less by the day and found myself in a deep existential crisis due, in part, to my age at the time, but also because the situation I was in looked bleak and threatening.

The company I was working for offered to buy me out so I took the offer -- in the middle of a recession -- because I felt like I was adrift in more ways than one one to the point that my health was suffering. They wanted rid of me and I wanted to feel better. At the time it felt like getting fired. I didn't know what I was going to do, or if I would be able to find work. My life had become a **** show. Even my relationships were suffering.

I initially took a couple of months off to decompress then took a 1 year contract freelancing in a simple project just to have an income. At that point I started a 1 man company, started freelancing full time and found my footing. Several years on and I earn easily 3 times what my old employer was paying me, I have all the freedom I ever wanted, I have found clients in a sector that has a huge need for people with my particular skill set and my relationships are strong.

What do you think would have happened to me if I had stayed in my old job?

So what started as me feeling like my life had fallen apart opened a door that made it infinitely better than it was before. From the time I was in university I used mediation as a stress relief but that's the point when I became a closet Buddhist and started to believe that everything happens with a reason. I no longer fear or become angry at what the universe throws at me. I've learned how to roll with it.

tldr; I have nothing to offer you that will help you get the puppy you wanted but maybe this is an opportunity to think about what "wanting" something really does to you.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Did you give her any money to hold the puppy for you? Do you have text messages stating what you've told us? If you have proof about being told you can get this particular puppy and you put money down, then you have grounds to hold her to that. Check into it.
This is true. A verbal contract is legally binding in a lot of places. If you have proof of what you agreed to then this will help.

That said, even if you have a legal claim, you may need to spend a lot of time, money and energy getting the puppy unless you can negotiate it out of out court.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts