Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There was a thread that mentioned the Animal Planet breed selector to determine what kind of dog they should get and I thought it would be fun to make a thread out of it! I've also posted some other ones so you can compare!

So take the quiz and post your top results (however many you want) with whether you would own one, wouldn't own one, or if you already have one. Don't forget to post why!

Dog Breed Selector : Animal Planet
Dog Breed Selector - What Kind Of Dog Should I Get? - American Kennel Club
Dog Breed Selector & Puppy Finder - Choosing a Dog

For animal planet I got Irish Setter, but one of their traits on google is "independent" so I'm not sure Id like that at all. I don't know enough about them to make a for sure decision so maybe!

On AKC I got a few ranging from Pom to Belgian Malinois ?? I would definitely own a Belgian but definitely not a Pom. Fox Terrier also came up and that's a no for me.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Animal Planet - American Fox Hound.
I didn't like the highest exercise option is 45 mins, I consider Asha low energy and she still gets about a hour.

The AKC only works if you have an American zip code.

For the last one I got a hunting breed, three types of spaniels and a Whippet, and the only one I would consider out of those is a Whippet.

Reactions: cos

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Animal Planet - American Fox Hound.
I didn't like the highest exercise option is 45 mins, I consider Asha low energy and she still gets about a hour.

The AKC only works if you have an American zip code.

For the last one I got a hunting breed, three types of spaniels and a Whippet, and the only one I would consider out of those is a Whippet.
Oh man! Forgot about that, odd that you need a zip code? You can just google American zip codes if you're not in the states, I'm sure it doesn't matter all that much.

Also thought the 45 minute thing was weird. I guess that is a lot for your "average" owner, but me and Cosmo spend anywhere from 2-4 hours together a day. We just traveled an hour and a half out of town and he was with me all day! Visited some new dog parks and had a wonderful time. Had a bit of a hike and visited some doggy friendly cafes!

·
Registered
519 Posts
Animal Planet - ACD (99%) followed by Beauceron (98%). ACDs are one of my favorite herding breeds and Beaucerons/other French and Spanish herding breeds are thought by many to have contributed to the breed I do have, so I'd say it's pretty accurate. Malinois and BC were both 97%.

AKC - This quiz asked less about specific needs, and I got Schipperke, Malamute, German Pinscher, Sloughi and Cane Corso for main matches. Of those only the German Pinscher might work for me... but then not really. Beauceron was in the top 10 and Canaan dog was on the first page, and those are both dogs I could see working, anyway.

Dogtime - Gave me "Goldador", Whippet, Airedale, Curly Coated Retriever and ACD. Airedale and ACD could work but definitely not the others.

Keeping in mind that I have need of a dog that can herd, pursue varmints part time, guard my house and poultry up to a point, do a little draft work and I'm also getting into shed hunting... I think the Animal Planet quiz was the soundest for me. Its answers weren't bad at all.

I still plan to stick with curs for the forseeable future though. Another Catahoula or a Lacy next most likely. :D

·
Registered
875 Posts
Oh man! Forgot about that, odd that you need a zip code? You can just google American zip codes if you're not in the states, I'm sure it doesn't matter all that much.

Also thought the 45 minute thing was weird. I guess that is a lot for your "average" owner, but me and Cosmo spend anywhere from 2-4 hours together a day. We just traveled an hour and a half out of town and he was with me all day! Visited some new dog parks and had a wonderful time. Had a bit of a hike and visited some doggy friendly cafes!
It asks the zipcode to determine climate, so when grabbing a zip grab one from a place more or less the temperatures you have at home.

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Whippet wouldn't be my ideal dog as I like a dog that can be reliable off leash, and I definitely couldn't own a greyhound. Borzoi are so pretty but I've read their prey drive is like greys :(

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
Deutsch Kurzhaar....just no.
I don't want a hunting dog.
most couch potatoe dogs I know would still be a bit disappointed with 35 minutes a day though.

Goldador...Don't want to sound mean, but I'm not exactly the biggest Retriever fan.

the AKC test... perhaps I'm a bit stupid, but it won't accept the zipcode... probably I'm doing something wrong...this zipcode system is slightly confusing to me...

·
Registered
46 Posts
The first one I got was a flat coat retriever - which was on my shortlist of breeds before I got my rottie - so that makes sense...

But the AKC one?? In my opinion it did not ask nearly enough questions - and so I ended up with pomeranian, chihuahua and border terrier. Which are not really breeds I can ever see myself owning - pom maybe, but I dont think Id ever go for a chi or a terrier.... But other suggested breeds included a few types of mastiff and pointer, which are much more to my tastes.

And the third one gave me 'goldador' as top breed, which is a 'mix of two breeds that I would consider.

·
Registered
495 Posts
I only did the first one since I'm on my phone.

The "best" option for me is supposedly the Brittany. I had never looked into them before, so I did a bit of reading. They're gorgeous dogs, and I do love the description of their personality, but it sounds like they might be a bit too energetic for me currently, though I'm not completely sure. I'm planning on doing more than an hour of exercise with future dog, but until I'm in better shape myself, it will be moderate exercise. Irish Setters were listed as my second choice, but again, I'm not seeing the connection, especially as I plan on having cats, as well.

The other options were also generally more energetic than what I'm looking for with my first dog. I agree with others that they needed to have more options for how long you plan to exercise your dog. I mean, the Golden I "babysat" enjoyed a 45 minute walk as well as several shorter walks throughout the day, and I would qualify him as average energy. So their "high" exercise option is really about how much I expect any dog to exercise, with the high energy ones needing more than just an hour a day.

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
Let's see....

Animal Planet: American Cocker Spaniel. Hahahaha. I love Chisum, but won't do a Cocker again. :p I honestly don't love any of the breeds it showed...English Setters and Bearded Collies are nice so I wouldn't rule them out, but eh.

AKC: I got Bluetick Coonhound, Brittany, Giant Schnauzer, Malamute, and Tervuren.

Maybe I'd consider the Coonhound. That's really about it from that list. I thought the questions here were really limited too.

Dogtime: Poodle, "Goldador", Lab, English Cocker, Curly Coated Retriever.

Not opposed to standard Poodles, and a Curly Coated Retriever may be cool. Still not overly impressed with the results, though.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Animal planet I got : Australian cattle dog 100%, border collie, Australian shepherd, and belgium malinois were all 99% matches, along with a few others but those were the top of the list. This makes sense but all these dogs are not for my current stage of life.

ACK: I put a minneapolis zip in since I am Canadian and am closest to that state. there pick for me is a belguim mal again.

Dog breed selecter: top five are Norfork Terrier, Goldador, sussex spaniel, golden retriever, and welsh springer spaniel. None of these breeds are really a match for me. I like golden retrievers a lot but they don't fit what I look for in a dog.

·
Premium Member
4,599 Posts
For animal planet I got 99% Border Collie and 98% ACD. The AKC gave me Russell Terrier, Laekenois, and Beauceron, which are all breeds I'm not interested in. :p Finally for DogTime I got Poodle (love), Sussex Spaniel, Goldador (?), Airedale and Whippet.

Surprisingly, no Aussies. :p

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Animal Planet:
Australian Cattle Dog- 97% - yup, would love a purebred
Border Collie- 96% yep, definitely will have one
Brittany- 96%. I do like them. Not on 'the' list but I wouldn't be totally opposed

AKC
Scottish Terrier- NOPE
Norwegian Elkhound- no no no
Portuguese Podengo Pequeno- Errr.
Alaskan Malamute- LOL
Siberian Husky- worst nightmare

Seriously that was horrible.

Dogtime

Border Collie- yes
Glen of Imaal Terrier- .......
Polish Lowland Sheepdog- no
Pembroke Welsh Corgi- ehhh I don't want a long backed dog but I like them
Canaan Dog- no

·
Premium Member
4,599 Posts
@Laurelin - The animal planet one was the only one that was even close for me! The AKC one was horrible.

Reactions: cos and jclark343

·
Premium Member
9,197 Posts
These make me giggle a little bit.

Animal Planet I got 97% with a Border Collie. Also a ACD and a Irish Setter. Ok. I feel like an Aussie would time into that.

AKC. Man Couldn't have been more all over the board here. Boerboel, Pomeranian, and a Cardigan Welsh Corgi. Um. No. To all. Maybe a Pembroke corgi but no to both the others. A SOLID no to those.

Dogtime - really, suggesting a mix breed. I mean You're right in my love for my labs, and my dog growing up was a labxgolden but to suggest people to search that out? Not cool.

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
Animal Planet- I got Brittany, though depending on my grooming answer I also got American Cocker Spaniel.

AKC- I got cairn terrier, neapolitan mastiff, airdale terrier, Lakeland terrier, and the kooikerhondje

Then on the last one I got Sussex spaniel, cardigan welsh corgi, welsh springer spaniel, English cocker spaniel and Pembroke welsh corgi

·
Registered
290 Posts
Animal Planet - Irish Setter, Border Collie, ACD, and Standard Poodle.

AKC - Bluetick Coonhound, Miniature Pinscher, Plott, and Bergamasco.

Dogtime - Standard Poodle, Airedale, Goldador, Welsh Springer, Whippet.

I would never own any of these... especially not the Golden x Lab mutt...

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Traditionally I don't get breeds that actually interest me on these things. This time they're not too bad though.

Animal planet: ACD 99%. Followed by border collie and Brittany

AKC: Siberian Husky, Belgian Laekenois (presumably that variety because of the coat), Giant Schnauzer.

The last one, Sussex spaniel, then goldador lol. No.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Animal Planet
German Shorthaired Pointer 99% Canaan dog 98%

I never really knew much of either these dogs but they are both fantastic!
Not to mention beautiful dogs. Some of the examples they showed of the German Pointer were amazing. :)

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.