Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there! Please participate in this poll to help me out with a research project.

Could you respond with:

1) the breed of your dog and 2) the size (circumference) of it's "wrist's" and "ankles" just above where the paw bends?

THANKS so much!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's a research project to determine the variances of wrists and ankle sizes across the breeds. We need as many measurements as possible and truly appreciate everyone's help!

·
Registered
13,313 Posts
It's a research project to determine the variances of wrists and ankle sizes across the breeds. We need as many measurements as possible and truly appreciate everyone's help!

Yeah, OK... but what's the project? If you want people to help, they'll want to know what the greater purpose is of the project.

What will the research be used for?

·
Registered
13,313 Posts
ah...as in market research? ;)
Yeah, I fear you have this right, Crio.

I was hoping for a loftier goal.

In any case, I'm not very interested in providing data on my dogs unless its for a good cause....

Sorry Wesson...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi there! sorry wasn't able to follow up very quickly, have been sick :(
The research project is to get data on dog wrist and ankle measurements to help determine if there is any link in the size of the bones by breed to arthritis. It's a school project :) geez you guys are tough. Any help would be appreciated!

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
The research project is to get data on dog wrist and ankle measurements to help determine if there is any link in the size of the bones by breed to arthritis. It's a school project :) geez you guys are tough. Any help would be appreciated!
but then wouldnt you also need to know if these particular dogs are suffering from arthritis or not? or else you cant really determine if there is a link because you dont know if they even have it or not.

·
Registered
66 Posts
haha , they are tough :)
But I think the more information you give us about the project you are doing , and the reasons behind it , the more willing we will be to go along with it . Just give us a little more to work with :D

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
As soon as I get a measuring tape I will be more than happy. I don't think measuring a dog is a big deal no matter the cause.

Thanks so much JJJ!!

GreatDaneMom - I don't need to know if the dogs being measured have arthritis. I just need to know the breed and measurements. I have the data on arthritis by breed. Thx!

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
GreatDaneMom - I don't need to know if the dogs being measured have arthritis. I just need to know the breed and measurements. I have the data on arthritis by breed. Thx!
still doesnt make sense to me.... seeing as how i have 2 danes, and they vary GREATLY in size. like we have dobermans at work for example, one of them is very very thin boned, and the other 2 (littermates) have very thick bones. so their wrists sizes are going to be very different. sorry if i seem mean, im not. im just wondering. (im kind of a science geek...)

·
Registered
13,313 Posts
still doesnt make sense to me.... seeing as how i have 2 danes, and they vary GREATLY in size. like we have dobermans at work for example, one of them is very very thin boned, and the other 2 (littermates) have very thick bones. so their wrists sizes are going to be very different. sorry if i seem mean, im not. im just wondering. (im kind of a science geek...)
None of this makes any sense to me either.
If Wesson is legit, he might let us know more about the study he is conducting.

Otherwise, this still looks like collecting data for sizing and marketing dog booties or something.

I'm a science geek/skeptic too! I say "show me" your research plans.:eyeroll:

·
Registered
88 Posts
What do you mean by wrists and ankles? Dogs are not structured like humans. Do you mean the pasterns and hock circumference?

·
Registered
9 Posts
It's a school project right?

First it made me smile then I just had to laugh - talk about getting blood out of a stone - this must be doing Wesson head in - Is this thread meant to be funny :whistle:

As you can see Lucky Dog is a Jack Russell her wrists (2-3/4") ankles same measurement - Wesson one for the learning curve road - my own research in to arthritis I found that it's all about the food animals or humans consume -

Troubled Times: Cooking Food

What do you mean by wrists and ankles? Dogs are not structured like humans. Do you mean the pasterns and hock circumference?
Please forgive me if I'm stating the obvious but in the past I've been surprised how many people don't know that dogs have front AND rear pasterns. The hock is the joint above the rear pastern, the rear pastern is the bit between the hock joint and the floor.

The difference between the two needs to be understood when thinking about faults like cow or sickle hocks, for instance.

Just thought that needed to be pointed out.

·
Registered
4,921 Posts
Well if it's a school project it doesn't really have to be correct. You make a hypothesis, I'm assuming yours would be "it is hypothesized that different breeds of dogs have a greater chance to develope arthritis if their joint are larger, while having smaller joints will decrease the chancde of getting arthritis" or something like that. So doesn't really have to be right, just has to follow the scientific experiment guide ~> Hypothesis, test/results, discussion/conclusion.
So, I also think you would need to know if a dog has arthritis or not.

·
Registered
13,313 Posts
Well if it's a school project it doesn't really have to be correct. You make a hypothesis, I'm assuming yours would be "it is hypothesized that different breeds of dogs have a greater chance to develope arthritis if their joint are larger, while having smaller joints will decrease the chancde of getting arthritis" or something like that. So doesn't really have to be right, just has to follow the scientific experiment guide ~> Hypothesis, test/results, discussion/conclusion.
So, I also think you would need to know if a dog has arthritis or not.
Ah! Someone has been paying attention in class! :D

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.