Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So today I took Blarney to the vet, to get an x-ray and see how many pups she'll be having and if their heads will fit without any problems. It turns out she's having 5, and their heads will fit. We were given a bottle of dewormer for Blarney and her puppies. Every 2 weeks for all of em(Pups after their eyes open). WELL When we walked outta the exam room to pay, there was a lady with her cat in a carrier. At first she didn't notice us, but when she glanced behind us and saw Blarney she reached down and picked up her cat carrier and turned so it was away from Blarney. This annoyed me, because Blarney is obviously heavily pregnant, and was calmly sitting at my side.

When I said something to the vet tech that was standing beside me about us waiting in the exam room since apparently my dog upset the lady. She turned to me and said 'I dont want your pitbull attacking my cat' .... What?

First off, my dog was calmly sitting at my side, not pulling to get to the cat. Secondly, My dog gets along with cats. and Third of all, She was on a leash and your cat is in a plastic carrier..... Could you be more ignorant?! Ugh. Oh and finally, shes a Staffordshire terrier, NOT an american pitbull terrier. The general term 'Pit bull' annoys me to no end.

·
Banned
1,398 Posts
Reactions like that just come with the territory I guess. You know, a little dog on a fully extended flexi-leash pulling and not well trained and then barks at a passerby and most view that as "cute". But other certain larger breed dogs out for a walk with their human in a relaxed basic heel position woofs at anyone, well, it's usually anything but "cute" to many. It's all perception I guess. Just keep up the good work keeping your SBT the well mannered dog she is and maybe it will make a difference to people like the lady at the vet with the cat.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Well I wouldn't leave my cat in a carrier on the floor facing some random dog. I don't see anything wrong with what she did. Maybe her comment was rude, but that could have been in response to yours.

·
Registered
214 Posts
If I see any larger dog coming by in that situation, I'm moving my small dog. I don't know the dog's personality or what they're at the vet for, nevermind that a sick dog will often behave differently, and can be aggressive when it is normally super sweet. My responsibility is to my dog, not the person who's going to take offense at me caring for my dog.

I think she did the right thing by moving her cat - if for no other reason than to keep her cat from being anxious (because a large dog walking by a restrained cat could be SUPER terrifying for the cat). And a cat owner probably isn't familiar with exactly what breed your dog would be.

As for the woman's comment, it was likely in response to yours, which would have been construed as rude and/or passive aggressive. She was only looking after her cat's best interests, which you can't fault her for. I wouldn't read much more into it, you don't know the state of mind she was in, her cat might be quite sick or be there to be put down - all she wants is for the cat to feel and be safe.

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
I don't have any problem with "pit bull" type dogs (any breed) but I've actually been on the other side of this...I think sometimes people with these breeds are easily offended by ANY comment or suggestion that their dog is acting out. Maybe justified, maybe not.

I've got a little terrier mix. She's not mean, and she's not reactive, but she does get nervous at the vet and definitely has a "bubble" she wants other dogs to respect. I was in the waiting room with her sitting in my lap, and a woman had a "pit bull" type dog that had a very long leash and was being given free reign. Very nice dog, but she headed over and was putting her face in my Sophie's face. I turned to put myself between the dog and Sophie and asked her if she'd call her dog back over. She did not. She instead replied that her dog was friendly and that I was being judgmental based on her dog's breed. I told her that was not the case, that it didn't matter if HER dog was friendly, MINE didn't like having ANY other dog in her face. Still, she did nothing - just rolled her eyes.

Thankfully my dog is small so I was able to pick her up and walk as far away as possible. But it was an annoying experience for sure.

Sure, her comment was a little off-putting, but I do agree with the poster above me: maybe she was there for an unpleasant reason. Maybe she had a bad experience.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Her cat carrier was already facing away from Blarney, and was half way into the vet techs 'area'. There was no reason for her to pick it up. As for my comment, I made it because of the fact she picked up her cats carrier - which to me meant she was uncomfortable. They hadn't even taken her payment yet, as they'd JUST told her the total. I get protecting your animal, as i used to have a border collie x basset hound who was notorious for being attacked. So at big gatherings, i'd pick her up around large dogs regardless of breed as we were walking past(She was only 30 pounds).

My point is, there was no reason for her to pick the carrier up, when the cat couldnt see my dog, my dog wasnt interested, and she wasnt leaving. In my eyes she did it specifically because my dog is a 'pit bull'

·
Registered
15 Posts
I'm a staffy owner myself and I think the best thing to do in these situations is just ignore it. Maybe even give a smile just to be polite sometimes I think the person judges the owner just as much as the breed so I always try and be nice.

It's good to rant but I think it's best just to forget experiences like these and focus on the positive, like the good news that your girl got at the vets regarding her litter :)

·
Banned
1,398 Posts
She instead replied that her dog was friendly and that I was being judgmental based on her dog's breed. I told her that was not the case, that it didn't matter if HER dog was friendly, MINE didn't like having ANY other dog in her face. Still, she did nothing - just rolled her eyes.

This type of attitude by that lady at times ends up like this, " I can't believe my dog did that, he/she has never done that before." And even if absolutely nothing were to happen, one has no idea about the other dog, one only knows about their own dog and should always err to the side which protects their dog's best interest.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I can definitely see why you would have been upset about this. You have a breed that is constantly stigmatized as aggressive- you are probably so fed up with all the ignorance you have to deal with. I understand needing to rant a little, and this small things just display the larger problem in our society.

Although, in this case- I would say the cat owner did the right thing, but shouldn't have said what she did. If I had a cat or a small dog, I would have moved it away from any larger animal regardless of breed or temperament. Why take the risk? However, attributing this to a breed is ridiculous on her part.

Focus on the upcoming puppies and news that it will be a healthy delivery!

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
(Excuse my spelling/grammer im on my phone)
I agree with whats been said. I dont think she really shouldnt have said that. But i dont really blame her for moving the carrier even if it was for a possibly misinformed reason. Being in a crate like that is usually verry stressfull for a cat and not all cats like dogs anyways. You also never know how a animal will act in a stressfull high strung enviroment, you know your dog but she doesnt. Ive been at the vet with Sawyer and someone had there cat in a carrer, the guy didnt mind us being near but the cat hissed at Sawyer. Remember vets are stressfull for lots of animals but i would say cats are more likely to have a harder time.
Also keep in mind her predjudice was from not being knoladgable. I think it would have been good to just smile say shes actually a staffy and is verry nice and be done with it. Promote and be proud of her breed and dont let small things get to you, use it as a opertunity to teach people about the breed.

Also congrats on the good news.

·
Registered
223 Posts
She had every right to feel uncomfortable. You don't know her experiences. I have a scary looking dog and people pull their pets close to them whenever we enter a room. It doesn't bother me.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Of course she did. She was protecting her cat from a breed well known to have a high prey-drive towards other animals. Nothing wrong with that. That's like me getting upset if someone was nervous for their pet rat around my rat terrier lol. That's not "breed ignorance" its being proactive.

staffy/pit/amstaff owners are indeed overly-sensitive these days and I totally do not blame them. But be realistic...they are breeds well known to show aggression (well, they are not being aggressive, it's fun for them, part of their instincts) towards other animals. People should be cautious when it comes to cats and small dogs around them, it's just common sense.

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
I'm in the boat where I don't think the lady was out of line. I work with dogs and I know a lot about them, enough to know that a lot of terrier breeds can have a high prey drive. I would probably also pick up my carrier if I saw a northern type breed, too. As rude as what she said was, it wasn't unwarranted. It was really none of your business why she moved her cat, she just answered your question. (Assuming she even said that)

·
Registered
172 Posts
I always keep my cats turned away from dogs when we are a vet. I don't give any comments though...
I think what she did was perfectly all right, but the comments was somewhat uncalled for. I find it hard to blame her though. The general public constantly hears about pitbull type dogs attacking.
Staffordshire Bull Terriers also count as a pitbull type dog, so saying that your dog is a pitbull isn't something to get to excited about. How's she supposed to know the difference?

·
Registered
818 Posts
I realize you were upset however, so was the cat owner. A vet's waiting room is a highly charged place for both pets and owners. Shoe on the other foot had a very friendly large breed dog who loved kitties approach a cat in the carrier on the floor. Poor cat was so terrified that he/she scratched the curious dog on the nose. Back into an exam room for treatment for the injury. Dog was fortunate that it didn't get it in the eye.

·
Premium Member
10,780 Posts
She might have moved the cat if it had been any number of large breed dogs, there's really no way of knowing. Even with her mentioning your dog's breed, she still might not be prejudiced towards them.

I own a Chi x Dach and he is fearful of large dogs, unfortunately he chooses fight rather then flight and puts on a vicious dog act. Due to that I ALWAY make sure to turn and put distance between him and the large dog, regardless of the dog's breed. Now I'm sure that some dog owners may think that it's because of the breed of the dog, but it's not, it's the size of it. I try and talk loudly to Zody, so that the owners of the other dog hear me, saying things like that's a sweet dog, or look the nice dog is getting you treats (as I'm feeding him treats), hopefully letting the other dog's owner know that the problem is my dog, not there's. I do not want my little dog to cause those large dogs to learn to be small dog aggressive, and I do not want my boy to practice behaving like a hell hound.

Reactions: Artdog

·
Registered
818 Posts
I realize you were upset however, so was the cat owner. A vet's waiting room is a highly charged place for both pets and owners. Shoe on the other foot had a very friendly large breed dog who loved kitties approach a cat in the carrier on the floor. Poor cat was so terrified that he/she scratched the curious dog on the nose. Back into an exam room for treatment for the injury. Dog was fortunate that it didn't get it in the eye.
By the way not my cat or my dog. Happened in the waiting room at the vet clinic I work at.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I wish people would make life easier on me and turn their cat carriers away when I enter with my large terrier! My pit mix has an insane prey drive and goes nuts for cats once she notices them. It's very common for any terrier breed to be happy to go after small animals. She could have been kinder and maybe does just think they're "vicious" without understanding the difference between animal and human aggression. Just smile and mention that your dog happens to be good with cats, try to leave a good impression of you and your pup! :)

·
Registered
911 Posts
I keep my cats carries up on a bench and turned to the side. I don't want my cats getting upset seeing an unfamiliar dog and I don't want to get the dogs worked up as I know many get excited when they see a cat. I do think the comment was uncalled for.

I do understand being sensitive to those comments though. There is this guy who picks up his two small dogs when he sees me walking mine, because he thinks my big girl is mean. For nothing other than her size. I know this because I was talking to my neighbor and he said something about 'the big aggressive dog'. She sometimes whines, rarely barks and never lunges. My neighbor told him she is a sweetheart, our dogs play together sometimes. I don't think he believed her though. It is irritating.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.