Dog Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
He's a bully breed mix but I doubt English Bulldog is said bully. There's something else in there too. I want to say Basenji as he looks like 2 pit/Basenjis I met but they're pretty rare.

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
I agree I more pitbull/staffy rather then bulldog. Although rare he kinds has that basenji look like traciek88 said, but that could be from another breed.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I definitely think there is pit in him. I could see Basenji too. I'd do a DNA test on him to be sure though, you never know with rescues! You'd be surprised!

·
Registered
669 Posts
DNA tests are very often a waste of money. There is a newer one on the market that seems to be more reliable, but I can't remember the name.

I'd agree that he has a great deal of bully breed in him- Stafforshire Terrier, American Pit Bull Terrier, or American Stafforshire Terrier would be my guess, possibly all three as mixing between them isn't uncommon and AmStaffs and APBT are VERY similar, closely related breeds. I agree- there's no bulldog, or if there is any there isn't much. It is very common for shelters and rescues to use alternative breeds rather than calling something in "pit" or "amstaff" mix, because it will often make people find them more desirable because of the stigma attached to the bully breeds.

My knee-jerk reaction was to wonder if there was Husky in him, maybe a little further make to account for him having a single coat. I would believe Basenji if someone was sure he had it in him, but I also wouldn't guess that first unless he showed Basenji like behavior such as yodeling/strange vocalizations more than barking. That said, I will always guess a more common breed over a rare one, even if the dog looks more like a mix of the rare one. Not to say there aren't rare breeds in shelters- it's been pointed out to be before that there are, but if I'm going to guess an unknown mix I also go with a common breed over a rare one, even so.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts