Dog Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

We adopted a female puppy (Luna) from a local shelter and we would like some guesses from your trained eyes as to her breed mix. The shelter listed her as a GSD mix, claiming her mother was a black GSD, but we did not get to see the mother because she was in bad shape. They did not know who/what the father was. We don't know if this was a backyard breeder situation or if the mother was an outside dog with a male "visitor". Luna is currently 4 months old, and looks different from a typical GSD -- more like a Malinois or a GSD/Malinois mix. She is completely black with no other coloring, which I believe is not standard for either GSDs or Malinois. Her litter mates had little white patches on their chests. She's about 25 pounds now.

So there are probably a few possibilities here:

1. Full (or mostly) GSD, just totally black and has a leaner build than most.
  2. GSD/Malinois mix of some sort.
  3. GSD/other mix (black lab?).
  4. Misidentified full (black) Malinois (unlikely?).
Thanks for your help!

Attachments

·
Registered
104 Posts
GSDs do actually come in solid black! (one of my favorite colors, actually - but there's no such thing as a bad color on a GSD :D) The leaner build may also be indicative of her possibly coming from a working line (WL) background.

I'm not a breeder myself, but GSDs are one of my breed loves (and likely my next puppy). I'd say your cutie looks very GSD-typey to me, if not full GSD. :)

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Malinois can be solid black as well although it is not super common. It's hard to say at this age, I can see elements of both in her. You'll probably be able to tell better as she matures, malinois tend to be more square and GSDs a little longer.

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
black is one standard colour for Schäfis. :)
she looks like one or at least a Mix with Schäfi (if you don't have papers you never know).
they also bulk out when they mature, so it is very likely she'll become a bit more muscular when she's fully adult.

·
Registered
253 Posts
It's hard to tell when they are so young. From her looks, at this point, she could be full gsd. They can be very lean, especially when they are growing ! She's adorable !
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
500 Posts
Looks a lot like my mom's Groenendael-GSD cross that is 3 months old and has just raised her ears so they are now prick and not folded.

I would expect a pure GSD to have a stronger stop than this pup, but there are so many breeders with different goals in this breed.

GSD x Malinois would very likely be masked sable (Malinois color) not black. GSDs do have black, apparently recessive so Malinois' sable should override it although I've heard someone mention there would be strains with dominant black. I have though seen pics of B&T Malinois/other BSD variety and heard of black Malinois too but I have no idea how common they are or if they have crosses behind them. Or which black they carry, dominant or recessive.

And there was an intentionally bred Malinois x Groenendael litter here. In full register. Black shorthaired Belgian shepherds. I want one too...

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
I just wanted to tell you that she is so BEAUTIFUL! Those ears are killing me in the last picture. So cute! Congratulations on your new addition. I don't know a whole lot about either breed but I believe that I can see bits of both.

·
Registered
880 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts