Dog Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! I'm picking this boy up from a rescue on Saturday and he was guess-timated to be a year old. I'm by no means a professional but he seems like he's still going through his "ugly" puppy stage. Just a tad disproportionate in some spots. I'm starting to question if he's not just a tad younger.

*I do think some of the disproportionate is the fact that he does need to gain some healthy weight.

Also any guess on breed? Thanks!
Dog Plant Carnivore Grass Collar

Dog Collar Plant Carnivore Fawn

Dog Plant Leaf Dog breed Carnivore

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
That's going to grow up to be one good looking dog, don't worry if there's some disproportion now. Puppies almost always go through some form of an awkward stage, especially larger breeds. This pup looks to me as though there is some bully breed in him, like Staffordshire, and maybe some hunting breed like GSP. Wide eyes and head looks bully, as does the body build and fur, but somehow I sense the pointer as well. The shape of the muzzle, turned up a little bit as it seems to me, could indicate a bit of boxer in there as well. As for age, without seeing the size and movement of the dog ir his teeth, it's hard to say. Between 6 months and a year is about as close as I would want to guess. You can tell a lot about age from how the pup acts.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's going to grow up to be one good looking dog, don't worry if there's some disproportion now. Puppies almost always go through some form of an awkward stage, especially larger breeds. This pup looks to me as though there is some bully breed in him, like Staffordshire, and maybe some hunting breed like GSP. Wide eyes and head looks bully, as does the body build and fur, but somehow I sense the pointer as well. The shape of the muzzle, turned up a little bit as it seems to me, could indicate a bit of boxer in there as well. As for age, without seeing the size and movement of the dog ir his teeth, it's hard to say. Between 6 months and a year is about as close as I would want to guess. You can tell a lot about age from how the pup acts.
Wow thank you! Your input was very insightful. All I know of him so far is when they took him outside to meet us he got the zoomies for 2 minutes and then instantly settled down and took us in. He is very submissive and calm but that could be out of uncertainty. Thank you for your time!

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
Ahhh. When a dog gets the zoomies like that it often indicates glee because the dog recognizes his new people.

I have seen this happen with foster dogs who have met this person and then that person and then someone else comes and they get the zoomies and sure enough that's their new home. They just know.

Yes, he will be calm and uncertain at first. don't be fooled into thinking that is his personality! It might be, but most of the time a dog will take a couple of weeks in a new place before feeling confident enough to display their true character. You can help him to feel more secure just by not asking too much of him just at first, and being very calm and soft and patient around him. Tell him all the time that he's a good dog and he'll be one. Train him with only positive reinforcement and he will very likely turn out to be a great dog.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ahhh. When a dog gets the zoomies like that it often indicates glee because the dog recognizes his new people.

I have seen this happen with foster dogs who have met this person and then that person and then someone else comes and they get the zoomies and sure enough that's their new home. They just know.

Yes, he will be calm and uncertain at first. don't be fooled into thinking that is his personality! It might be, but most of the time a dog will take a couple of weeks in a new place before feeling confident enough to display their true character. You can help him to feel more secure just by not asking too much of him just at first, and being very calm and soft and patient around him. Tell him all the time that he's a good dog and he'll be one. Train him with only positive reinforcement and he will very likely turn out to be a great dog.
I am very excited to see how he matures and settles in. I have had dogs that have had the zoomies before but I've never had one do it on a leash. It was hilarious.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
That is a VERY cute boy, congrats on the adoption! I agree, no promise, but I feel he looks younger than 1YO too. And I agree I see staffie in the head and face. What a sweetie, he'll definitely be one good looking dog! Enjoy your little one!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I
Been researching the breed and it turns out bullarabs are a mix of english bull terrier/greyhound/gsp and english pointer. No pitbull involved
I
Been researching the breed and it turns out bullarabs are a mix of english bull terrier/greyhound/gsp and english pointer. No pitbull involved
I wonder were I am in the USA what the chances are of having one. Heck this is the first time I've ever hear of one and it's very cool.

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
I
OH, English bull terrier? I had that wrong then. Those are completely different from the pitbull type of dog. (And are lovely dogs. I like them a lot myself)

I wonder were I am in the USA what the chances are of having one. Heck this is the first time I've ever hear of one and it's very cool.
I think in the US it is unlikely that you have a bull arab. You won't know the actual mix unless you do a DNA test and even then possibly not because they are not necessarily reliable.
But one cool thing about having a mixed breed dog is that you can call the dog whatever you like, really. And when you have a dog that even looks part pitbull, as yours does, it's usually advantageous to call the dog something that doesn't include pitbull because of the prejudices people have.

You can also make up some name just for fun.
I personally wouldn't call that dog a bull arab, though, if he were mine, just because the work "bull" is probably the only thing people will hear and they will all immediately think "pitbull". Best to have anything but that on the dog's record, to avoid all the biases against pitbulls.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts