Dog Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an Epileptic Labradoodle and have to be very careful with any kind of meds, that could bring on a seizure. After yesterdays Scare of 3rd deadly Paralysis tick found on Jasper in 6 years..I cannot risk No prevention anymore! One of those suckers can kill him very fast..a seizure not very likely. Nothing Natural will protect him for this! I am looking at a new tick/ flea product called BRAVECTO. When tested on 300 dogs "One adult treated dog suffered a seizure during the course of the study (46 days after the second treatment)." Jasper has been doing fine on REVOLUTION and COMFORTIS in the past..although both drugs carry a seizure warning and a few dogs in my Canine Epilepsy group had seizures from those. Has anybody else used BRAVECTO yet? I need to find a new Heartworm preventative now..since I won't be using REVOLUTION or COMFORTIS anymore. Any safe ones? Cheers guys.:thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
4,613 Posts
I used Bravecto once. Levi (my Aussie) vomitted several hours after taking it. Since it is a fairly large does of medicine (as it lasts for 12 weeks) I didn't really feel comfortable using it. As a result, we switched to Nexgard and have experienced no negative side effects. The other thing I found with Bravecto is you really have to make a note for when you last gave it/when to give it again. Three months is a long time. Now with his Heartgard and Nexgard, I just give it to him on the 1st and 2nd of each month.

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
This is the first year I've used it. I believe it's pretty new, in Canada at least. There were no side effects/reaction from my dog. He's had 2 doses so far.

I got the prescription from my old vet. However, my new vet told me that he wasn't recommending it to clients yet because it's still new and he wanted more information on it first.

For heart worm I use Heartgard. I've been using it since my dog was a puppy with no reactions so far. Maybe that's something you can look into.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts