Dog Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've been thinking of some ways I could channel Jett's energy and smarts when he gets older and I thought what about agility? I jump horses so why can't I jump my dog too? So I was just wondering if boxers are a good dog for agility and if so, what age is good to start?

·
Registered
94 Posts
Boxers can be good at agility but it all depends on the individual dog of course. I would recommend getting puppy and reg obedience out of the way first. Also no jump training while your pup's hips and developing, it is also a good idea to get his hips and everything checked out and cleared by your vet before you even start agility training.

As for the A-Frames, etc. those you can start getting him used to at an earlier age.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I know 3 boxer who do agility and they're great. Boxers have loads of energy to chanel into it. You can start when your dog is at least 12 months old(for a Boxer I'd say 15, so the bones are completely devoloped. Whilst your dogs still a pup you can do stuff like going up small a-frames/dogwalks and playing in tunnels. But strictly no jumping or weaving untill your dog's 12 months+.
GOOD LUCK AND HAVE FUN!!!

·
Registered
49 Posts
I see no problem in starting as a puppy. I started all my dogs when thier vacc are complete. Be reasonable though. Jumps were just a bar between the standards to get them used to going through what ever was in the standard, tire was flat on the ground, and the contacts were as low as posible. There is never a too early age to start as long as you use your head. Its great fun for puppies and a great bonding experiance

1 - 4 of 4 Posts