Dog Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Hello everyone! I just adopted a boxer/beagle mix that is being picked up on the 25th and I have a few questions! As we all know most mixes get the best of the mixed dog's personalities but never owning a boxer or beagle, what do we expect from them? Kid friendly? Dog friendly? Jumpy? Easy on training? And so on. Also what is the weight/height of the average boxer/beagle mixes? I've gotten mixed info from Google searches and I'd love to hear from the actual owners. :) Thanks a lot~

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
With mixed breeds it is to some degree always a kinder surprise egg...you don't know for sure what you get, hen you buy it.
it depends which of the consisting breeds is more dominant in the dog.
mixed breeds don't always get the best of the breeds of the ancestors and then you've got to know what is "the best".

the "best"/"worst" scenario would be a territorial, protective, preydriven, destructive, hoggish, overly active dog, that is more interested in preying in the neighbouring cats and smaller dogs than on your commands.
and that's just the personality.
both parents of course can (don't necessarily have to) pass on typical defects, like the boxer for example HD, heart desease and a high possibilty for cancer.
this doesn't mean that your mixed breed has to be sick or difficult. it is very likely that it is a great dog, since most dogs are great :), but the the likelyhood to get a "difficult case" it is not smaller or bigger with a mixed breed than with a "purebred"

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply Mathilda! From what I've heard, the mother is sort of shy but very polite and sweet. The father is unknown but all we know is he was mainly boxer from DNA test. Fitz has been exposed to children, young and old, and other old and young doggies. I'm just concerned mainly because I have two cats which did grow up around a boxer/pit bull mix but I don't know how Fitz will handle it. I hope he is not so prey driven... if he is, is there a way I can prevent this or dull it out? Also, are boxers (seeing that you have one) good at dog parks? We have one close by and I'd love to get him to eventually go to it once we get some training in. :) Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
I think you're chalking up way too much to the breed of your puppy. This dog is definitely not half boxer and half beagle, so looking up Boxer/Beagle mixes won't really help you. Also, any mixes are NOT predictable, so don't waste your time looking up what this dog's personality would be like. Unless you talk to your pup's siblings owners, I can almost guarantee you won't find anyone else who has a dog like this. I also think you're even putting too much emphasis on his "Boxer" part. Does he even act much like one? He doesn't look much like one even though his dad had some!

You're asking a million and one things that really, can't be answered totally by breed, even if he was a purebred. For example, Goldens are usually good with kids. Do some dislike children? Yes. But as long as you socialize him to cats, kids and other things you want him accustomed to at a young age, he should be fine. If you want to know how he is personality wise, with other dogs, cats, small children just..expose him to them and see how he is! You have to factor a dog's individuality into these questions, especially when your dog is a mutt. I mean, my dog is a mutt with a lot of Cattle Dog in her. They're said to be "suspicious of strangers", but Stella thinks every stranger is a potential friend.

So my advice for you when you pick up your adorable little mutt (I use this affectionately) is enroll him in a puppy obedience class, possibly an additional puppy play group, and socialize him to kids, cats, many different kinds of people, places and situations. The first 4 months of a pup's life are called the "critical socialization period ", so you want him exposed to everything and everyone you want him to be used to as an adult!

One word of slight caution, do not bring him around strange dogs or to dog parks until he has had all his vaccinations at around 4 months. But play with other puppies and exposure to friendly adult dogs you know to be vaccinated is very important. I would add I don't think a pup should be brought to the dog park until they are 6 months old. Make sure *All* his experiences with other dogs in his earliest months are very fun and pleasant. Very young puppies can get easily overwhelmed in a dog park for the first time. (Yesterday a 4 month old pup came into ours, got a paw smacked on his back gently and ran away screaming like his nails were being pulled out!) I would also monitor your local dog park for how the people and their dogs behave. You want to make sure the dogs are friendly and the people control their dogs. And when you first go to a dog park, don't go on a weekend when it's super crowded, you only want a small amount (less than 10) dogs there.

All in all, don't get hung up on (or even pay attention to) the breeds in the mix of your puppy, because with his looks, he doesn't look too strong this way or that. Just start training and socializing the moment you get home! Update us as you go along with Fritz, and please utilize stickies on puppy training and all on the Training board. :)

·
Registered
547 Posts
I have a less mixed dog that bread with a more mixed dog. The seven puppies all had vastly different personalities. One was a big goof, one was shy, one was adventurous, and another was willful. One puppy was a quiet leader type, and another was cautious of everything. We kept the puppy who was most docile.

Part of a dog's (or person's) personality is born into them, the rest is learned from birth. I'm sure with patience, your puppy will learn to behave around the cats. You just have to be very careful not to let anyone give your new puppy the idea that chasing cats is funny, or you'll have a cat-chaser on your hands.

Good luck with your cutie!

·
Super Moderator
11,910 Posts
Welcome to the forum @Fitz!
Your puppy is adorable!:)

Since he's a mixed breed it's hard to say what he will look and be like as an adult. There can be a big variety, even in the same litter!

How big are his parents? I would imagine a boxer x beagle to fall some where in the medium range as an adult.

Temperament wise both beagles and boxers tend to be friendly, outgoing dogs. But best bet ime with mixed breeds is to observe and get to know the dog you have right in front of you. :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks again for answering everyone and for all the advice, it's helping a lot. :)

This is mama and the litter at 9 days old (he the one all the way to the right).
Mom is 40 lbs/ medium dog. Dad we don't know much about other then he has a lot of boxer in him.
I'm getting him tomorrow (7 hour drive YUCK) so wish me good luck! I'll post pics once I get him home and settled.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts