Dog Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been having a ton of fun with Biscuit. Agility has been soooo awesome! I'm wishing I'd started teaching him (with no jumping, of course) agility from the day I picked him up.
And now I want a puppy. :rolleyes: It's been so long since I've had a furry little puppy in the house. Biscuit was 2 this March, and he's grown up wonderfully. I now want a border collie.
When it came down to choosing a breed, for me, it was goldendoodle or border collie. I'd found a breeder for each. I finally decided that for a first time dog, a border collie didn't make sense. But it wouldn't be my first dog if I got one now...
I love the breed. They're so smart, and fast... I've loved them for a long time. What I'm wondering is, are they my dream dog, or hyper maniacs? I've heard both.
I'm not that active, but I love agility to death. I'm home all day with Biscuit, and just adore teaching him 'stupid pet tricks'. Is a border collie too high energy for me?
I have a (small) fenced yard, but I'm going to be moving this summer. My new home, while not yet found, is going to have a large fenced doggy yard. For sure. I won't get any dog 'til I'm settled.
What do you guys think?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
4,613 Posts
I love Border Collies. Like you, I was very hesitant about getting one for my first dog. I compromised a little bit and got myself an Australian Shepherd - lots of energy, but not so crazy.
Just before Levi turned one, we decided to get a Border Collie. I went with one from working lines because they are said to have better focus, high energy, but incredible off-switches. She's an absolute freaking dream. Incredible handler focus, so fast, amazing at learning new behaviors, and a fantastic off-switch. Her one fault is she's a little motion sensitive, but we work on impulse control and she's improving every day.
The sport bred collies seem to be the ones who are the wildest. Lots and lots of drive, but also totally hyperactive and off the walls. A lot of the "sporter collies" I've met also seem to be HUGE barkers. Drives me a little crazy - Heidi doesn't bark. Then there are the "Barbie Collies" which are the show line collies. I really don't like them because they always have SO much coat.
As far as her attitude in the house, she's asleep next to me on the couch as I'm doing some work on my computer. She is very quick to settle if she recognizes we aren't doing anything. We go for an hour and a bit walk in the morning, training sessions during the day, and usually fetch in the evenings. She's a happy, friendly, non-destructive dog.
I don't think BCs are as destructive as people believe they are. I think people get them, underestimate how much they will actually train/exercise them and end up with a bored dog that makes their own fun. ;)
They are incredible, incredible dogs. I'll never be able to not have one again.

Reactions: Dogs4Jesus

·
Premium Member
4,613 Posts
@Dogs4Jesus - They seem alright. They confess that they don't breed for working ability, which always makes me very sad. It IS the working ability that makes a BC a BC, and enables us to do so much with them!
They do hips and eyes, and seem to love their puppies very much which is nice. :)

·
Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
@Shandula Yeah, I talked with the breeder. She said that they try to breed for an all around pet, that can still do sporting, herding etc. I don't want a super hyper sport-dog. I want a nice dog that can sport as well.
They do seem quite nice. Their waiting list is always full at least a season out. :eek:
You've pretty much convinced me that a BC is the way to go. Are there any breeders in Washington/Oregon that you would recommend instead?

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
I have a working line BC, she's fantastic but infuriating. I can see why people don't suggest them as a first time dog though. She is very handler focused, when we play I can see why people love them for agility, she seems to love working with us at high speed. She is super quick to pick up behaviors but they aren't always as intended because of my novice training skills. At home she's sleeping most of the time or asking to play if it's been a while.

On crazy:
Echo is reactive to pretty much anything that moves but is getting much much better with training and age. She didn't have a good introduction to the world though.
She needs interactive play or training to get tired, leashed walking seems to bore her or get her overstimulated really quickly when there are a lot of people around. In terms of energy I really feel like people forget their mental needs and assume a leashed walk twice a day will cover them, it doesn't.
People seem to really love their looks so it's been really difficult to stop people from encouraging her jumping up.

·
Premium Member
9,240 Posts
@Dogs4Jesus Sounds like you would be a great home for a border collie. You are aware of how much work they are, it's just making sure you find the right dog for you and your lifestyle. I would be wary about looking for a dog with too much working lines in them. They are DRIVEY. Very working line BC I've met has been crazy. Constantly looking for the next thing to fascinate on. I think one of the biggest things about owning a border collie for the first time is finding a mentor or trainer that is willing to help you through every step of the way. They are a breed all their own.

As far as the breeder you posted, I'm not a huge fan. They have nothing about genetic testing and I feel like they focus a lot on color. I would rather hear about good or great OFAs on eyes, hips, elbows and other things then hear about the colors they produce. I once heard this devastating story about a BC that developed hip dysplasia as a young dog, they deduced it all to bad breeding, the poor dog's mind wanted to go but the body couldn't handle it. It was heart breaking. I would either ask about their genetic testing (some do it but don't advertise which doesn't make sense) or find a breed that invests more into the body of the dog and not the color.

·
Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
@jclark343 I'm not the greatest at finding breeders. I thought these people looked fine, but appearances are only skin-deep, I suppose. Do you know of any good breeders in Washington/Oregon?

·
Premium Member
4,613 Posts
This one seems good:
EyeSpy Border Collies

The best thing to do is go to local herding trials (not AKC ones) and talk to the shepherds. They LOVE talking about BCs, and will happily converse with you about why you should go for the ABCA/CBCA registered and not AKC/CKC. Getting a puppy from one of these guys will get you a great dog that can also do dog sports.

·
Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
This one seems good:
EyeSpy Border Collies

The best thing to do is go to local herding trials (not AKC ones) and talk to the shepherds. They LOVE talking about BCs, and will happily converse with you about why you should go for the ABCA/CBCA registered and not AKC/CKC. Getting a puppy from one of these guys will get you a great dog that can also do dog sports.
Thanks, they look nice!

·
Premium Member
9,240 Posts
Eh be careful with that. My herding instructor has litters every so often and his dogs are HIGH drive and not really a dog I would consider for anyone not wanting to work sheep or compete at a very high level. I mean these dogs are WILD. No off switch, even when they are in their kennels away from the sheep they are barking their heads off.

A few I found
White Road Border Collies | PUPPIES FOR SALE! | Shelton, Washington

These guys have the merle as well as do a lot in agility
Hillcrest Border Collies

Agility dogs, but I don't see anything about genetic testing, might be worth asking.
Hidden Valley Border Collies of Oregon

They have a lot of dogs... I would probably feel this one out. They seem to have some pretty nice studs though.
About Us | Rising Sun Farm - Rising Sun Farm, AKC Breeder of Merit, Border Collie breeder, Australian Shepherd Breeder, Bengal Cat Breeder

Ok this is a rescue group with the cutest name!
Herd U Needed a Home in Bend, Oregon

·
Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Reactions: jclark343

·
Premium Member
9,240 Posts
Oh god, deaf and a border collie. He will need a special type of handler.

·
Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Oh god, deaf and a border collie. He will need a special type of handler.
Right now, a family's fostering him. I guess that they had a deaf border collie who just passed away recently. I'm thinking they'll adopt... ;)

Reactions: jclark343
1 - 15 of 15 Posts