Dog Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! I am a first time dog owner. I have adopted a border collieX New Zealand huntaway 12 week old pup and I will receive him on the 20th of July (as the breeder lives far away and can only come to me then). I am someone who is generally quite active, I do a lot of walking but I would love to do more and that's why I've chosen this breed. I know that they require a lot of exercise and I am prepared to do that.
Anyway I would love to hear from border collie X huntaway owners and hear about your experience with the breed.

·
Banned
283 Posts
Hello! I am a first time dog owner. I have adopted a border collieX New Zealand huntaway 12 week old pup and I will receive him on the 20th of July (as the breeder lives far away and can only come to me then). I am someone who is generally quite active, I do a lot of walking but I would love to do more and that's why I've chosen this breed. I know that they require a lot of exercise and I am prepared to do that.
Anyway I would love to hear from border collie X huntaway owners and hear about your experience with the breed.
I can't advise you on the cross - TBH I'd never heard of a New Zealand huntaway. All I can say is that we walk our collie between six and ten miles (10 to 16 klicks) a day. He could do it several times over. As he is off the lead he probably does anyway.

·
Premium Member
4,613 Posts
I also can't give any advice on the cross, but I can give you my take on my Border Collie. We play a lot of fetch (her favourite), off-leash walks, but most important TONS of mental stimulation (games, training, and puzzle toys).
I did a quick search on New Zealand Huntaway and they sound pretty similar to collies, except it seems as though they bark, a lot.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Huntaways are a herding breed in New Zealand, but they all come in different sizes and colors, including almost a wirehaired version . To me, they all look like mixed breeds. They aren't breed specific looking the way Australian Shepherds, Border Collies and Heelers here are.

Congrats on your puppy! Are you going to herd with it?

·
Registered
2,373 Posts
Have a neighbor that has a BC. Its just about a full time job keeping him exercised, as he has boundless energy. Don't think I could deal with that much energy in one dog.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts