My 3 year old Border Collie suffers from Border Collie collapse
in the summer months he tends to collapse often even though I
try to be careful with him.
He seems to recover OK, are these episodes causing him permanent
damage? I worry about him.

·
Registered
518 Posts

Border collie collaspe is similar to EIC in labs. My sons BC has it. Has your vet confirmed BCC? If so you should have had advice about it from him/her. If not your first port of call should be a vet to make sure it is what you think it is and nothing else and to get a care plan put in place. There really isnt enough known about it to say what the long term effects are going to be its a case of careful management and trying to limit the number of attacks.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
His vet confirmed it but admitted to knowing little about the condition.
Thank you for your answer.

·
Registered
518 Posts
His vet confirmed it but admitted to knowing little about the condition.
Thank you for your answer.

Maybe for yourself and for anyone else whos dog suffers this you could try keeping a diary. That way its easy to spot a pattern that might otherwise go unnoticed. My sons dog tended to collapse if she was allowed to continue carrying a ball , but short ball play and then not allowing her to carry the ball much reduced her chance at collapse.

A diary also helps when there is a vets visit and they ask when did this last occur how often ect ect you have all the details at hand instead of trying to remember during what might be a very stressful visit.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts