Dog Forum banner

1 - 20 of 136 Posts

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So reading through different threads everyone is throwing book names and authors and stuff out there. I thought it would be nice to have one thread with all of that information so we can easily find it again to refer back to. So what are some good training books, behavior books, feel good books, dog lovers books, etc. Whatever you have enjoyed and have been touched or helped by.

·
Registered
18,782 Posts
Hmm...there is a thread like that floating around..but I don't know where....I think we can make this one a sticky so it doesn't get lost.

I personally own and recommend these.

Don't Shoot the Dog Karon Pryor

Culture Clash Jean Donaldson

Other end of the leash Patricia McConnel

Oh behave! Jean Donaldson

Controlled Unleashed Leslie Mcdevitt (for reactive dogs)

Mine! By Jean Donaldson (for resource guarding)

Dogs, a Startling New Understanding Of Canine Origin and Behavior By Raymond and Lorna Coppinger

The Power of Positive Dog Training By Pat Miller

For the love of a Dog Patricia Mcconnell

I haven't read these personally but they are recommended often

How to Behave so your dog Behaves Dr. Sophia Yin DVM

Before and After getting your puppy Dr. Ian Dunbar.

Calming Signals Turgid Rugaas

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just ordered:

The Power of Positive Dog Training (Pat Miller)
For the Love of a Dog (Patricia McConnell)

and

101 Dog Tricks (Kyra Sundance)

·
Registered
18,782 Posts

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I can't wait til they get here. I probably won't have them until late next week at the earliest though :mad:. Thanks for all the recommendations by the way. I added most of them to my amazon wish list.

·
Registered
18,782 Posts

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You mean it was better? I wanted the Other End of the Leash too but I had to stop LoL

·
Registered
18,782 Posts
haha...I mean I thought it was just a collection of stories and it was all that and more. Its not a "how to" training book...its a understanding how dogs function. I expected to like it, but not learn from it AND like it. So yes I think it was better :)

Other end of the leash (and culture clash)points out all the common things humans do (and why) that our dogs don't like or understand :)

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thats good to know!! Those are the next 2 I am getting and I might try and find a good one on agility. I love to read!

·
Registered
22,635 Posts

·
Registered
18,782 Posts

·
Registered
22,635 Posts

·
Registered
18,782 Posts
hahah the father of dog training...think dog training in the 50s and 60s...lots of yanking and positioning, throwing chains at dogs etc. This book is the original 1962 copyright, but published in '86....either way its hilarious...lots of illustrations of happy smiling dogs that are being corrected on choke collar...

its all they knew at the time, so its hard to hate him. People who use this stuff now...well...

anyway, this guy was the master of compulsion based training. Just trying to stay well rounded in my understanding. :)

perhaps I will hear circus music.

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
LoL you are hilarious. Isn't so much more fun to do positive reinforcement? When I used correction it just stressed me out. Now I love training and so does Kimber and Kelsey.

·
Registered
18,782 Posts
LoL you are hilarious. Isn't so much more fun to do positive reinforcement? When I used correction it just stressed me out. Now I love training and so does Kimber and Kelsey.

hahah, its the boredom or the kool aid, Iam not sure.:D

I agree, more fun, and better for the dog IMO, I don't/wont/cant use compulsion/force BUT I do want to have a better understanding of ALL methods, especially if I ever work with dogs that have been subjected to said methods. I plan on reading Cesars stuff too, its just low on my priority list. :)

Plus this guy is just a plain ol' historical figure in dog training. He trained the dogs for film at that time. The book will sit awhile before I read it anyway..Iam still in the middle of Jeans new book. :)

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I am SO bored tonight too! And Kelsey and Kimber are already sleeping.

Which of Jeans books are you reading? Cesar's book is pretty interesting really....He doesn't really talk alot about his methods it is more about dogs and their history and how they think. I like it.

I will read about all the different methods too. I like to be able to discuss the different methods regardless of which I prefer so I think it is good to learn about all of them. Even you don't agree with the methods you can always learn something.

·
Registered
18,782 Posts

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Its only 9 here! What time is it where you are?

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
She trains a gold fish?

·
Registered
18,782 Posts
1 - 20 of 136 Posts